S&J Hand Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one already
just going through my collection..need to thin them out
guess this one is out the door

Steve

mine looks a lot older than them

no shiny chrome...so thought it was a bit older
unless all the chrome has rusted away

Steve

Whats the frog like ?

Just found this
http://www.planemakers-database.com/page/4/

CHAPMAN, James Arscott Ltd.

James Arscott CHAPMAN Ltd. SHEFFIELD (U.K.)
Industry Works, 115 Woodside Lane 1868 – 1936

Metal plane maker and joiner’s brace maker. The company is best known for its range of steel braces but also began making Stanley-type planes under the trade name “Acorn” from about 1934 onwards. Like the Stanley planes, the Acorns were painted black on the inside of the casting.

J.A. Chapman also made planes for other makers, most notably GTL, Talco and Spear & Jackson. Interestingly none of these planes have a frog adjusting screw.

In 1936 the company was purchased by The Stanley Works, New Britain, Conn, U.S.A., who then created The Stanley Works (Great Britain) Ltd.

thought i would add some pics :)

Attachments

• SJ1.jpg
    SJ1.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 1,699
  • SJ2.jpg
    SJ2.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 1,699
  • SJ3.jpg
    SJ3.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 1,699
That's a lot better than I was expecting so it might be worth a fettle.

My #4 is a black painted pre-Stanley Acorn. It works ok for me, and I will keep it because it was Grandad's. It does lack the frog adjusting screw, and the lateral lever is the cheaper pressed type. But far nicer than a late Stanley or Irwin era Record. So don't dismiss it out of hand.

Early Acorn planes seem to be well made, while the later - Stanley era - were second rate budget planes.
Ac1ML.jpg
Ac7ML.jpg
The early Acorn (left) has the frog mating surface angled very much like a Bedrock. It has the potential to be a good plane IMHO. The later Stanley-Acorn has a single horizontal (painted :roll: ) mating surface for the frog like an early Stanley (ref. Blood & Gore type 2) - which has the frog cantilevered out over the mouth (i.e. no support for the frog at the mouth).

Ac3ML.jpg

Mr_P":7589d2lx said:
J.A. Chapman also made planes for other makers, most notably GTL, Talco and Spear & Jackson. Interestingly none of these planes have a frog adjusting screw.
So if your S&J was made by Chapman in the early days (and it looks like it might have been) it could have potential.

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• Ac1ML.jpg
    Ac1ML.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 1,615
  • Ac7ML.jpg
    Ac7ML.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 1,615
  • Ac3ML.jpg
    Ac3ML.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 1,615
I have the one on the left