Bronze Soled Low Angle Block Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droogs

Not the Sharpest Moderator in the box
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Although I don't post really I do read the site a lot and thought that I should share my first tool project.

I am currently making a bronze soled 12 Degree low angle block plane by hand with hand tools only. I figured that this would help hone my skills and besides I couldn't afford to by one. The sole came from an offcut from a bronze foundry near to where I live. After explaining what i was looking to do the guy thought it would be interesting to see the results and so gave me a 200 x 70 x 08mm cast piece he had lying around, which was nice. :) The wood was some that I found in a skip outside a flooring shoop who were changing their window displays. I managed to get some nice piecs of Oak and some wood that was called "Tigereye" - I chose this to use as the colour when oiled is amazingly deep and warm.

The sole of the plane was marked out and cut to size 175 x 50 x 8mm using a hacksaw and the mouth of the plane was made to fit a 1 1/2" blade I had from an old wooden Mathieson smoother, which was split at the cheek to the bed/mouth intersection. I made the mouth of the plane by first drilling through the sole using a hand brace with a chest plate. The Bed and mouth were then filed using a single cut dreadnought file. the bed angle was guided by a block of oak cut a 12 deg angle. The wooden parts were then cut using hand tools and fitted to the sole with locating pins and gorilla glue.

There's still a way to go before it's finished but thought you may like a peek

:D

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,019
  • left side.jpg
    left side.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,009
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,009
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,009
  • sole1.jpg
    sole1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,009
  • sole2.jpg
    sole2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,009
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,009
Sorry working out how to make the image small enough to send

Wow filing the mouth looks it was a mammoth task!

Pete

5 weeks at 3 hours a night while watching tv and amazon prime and all with this :cry:

Attachments

• S1050611.JPG
    S1050611.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 996
Another Krenov? 8) 8)

I think it is really thrilling seeing all these handmade planes appearing on the Hand Tool forum recently...from Roman copies to mitre planes to your Krenovian block plane which has to win the overall prize for cost of materials.

This has to be the ultimate example of "upcycling".

Looking forward to seeing the rest of this WIP....

You should post more...but I'm glad you have now.

=D> =D>

Jimi

Droogs":343t9w6q said:
5 weeks at 3 hours a night while watching tv and amazon prime and all with this :cry:

Love Dreadnoughts, I have found loads at carboots.

Pete

Wish I was that lucky, very sparse around here. I "found" mine at an old fashioned tool factors, when I bought it the old chap behind the counter disappeared for about 15 minutes before coming back with a shabby box. He had 2 sizes and I got one of each. I paid £6 and £8 for them but the box had the 12" file marked at 78p :shock: . Appaently was the first one he'd sold in over 25 years. i really would love to have a look at the back of his storeroom

Droogs":1nab79wm said:
Wish I was that lucky, very sparse around here. I "found" mine at an old fashioned tool factors, when I bought it the old chap behind the counter disappeared for about 15 minutes before coming back with a shabby box. He had 2 sizes and I got one of each. I paid £6 and £8 for them but the box had the 12" file marked at 78p :shock: . Appaently was the first one he'd sold in over 25 years. i really would love to have a look at the back of his storeroom

Go back and ask him...I'm sure he would give you a tour especially if you look like you might buy something!

Jimi

Back