Kity 638 Planer/thicknesser - help needed please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainBarnacles

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A few weeks ago I stripped down my Kity 638 to machine some new bushes for it and give it a general service and clean. What with one thing or another I didn't get around to reassembling it until yesterday. When I looked at the collection of parts before me my mind went a bit hazy and I realised that I had no idea where some of them should fit. #-o

Rather than go through the frustrating process of trial and error, does anyone have an exploded diagram of the 638, or does anyone own a 638 and be willing to send me a photograph of the machine with the side panel removed so that I can try and work out how it all goes back together again.

Thank you in advance,
Paul.

I have a Kity 636, which is very similar, and the manual for it if it helps, but if the 638 manual is similar, there's next to nothing in it about taking it to bits.

It isn't too complicated, except the chain alignment can be cantankerous to get aligned correctly.

If you have any specific questions, I'm glad to help. as ever, photos are best.
Which bit is giving you a headache?

All best

I had a good look at it yesterday and I think that the main area of concern is correctly mounting the assembly which carries the pulley for the thicknesser drive arrangement. It's a steel 'cage' which bolts to the side of the chassis and is pivoted by the 'engage drive' lever to apply tension on the drive belt. There's also the spring which somehow hooks on to the chassis and puts tension on the drive lever. Does that make any sense? :?

I am going to have another look at it today with fresh eyes and in very good lighting. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Paul.

I've got a 439 and have no idea how similar this might be to your 638. However, I have exploded drawings of the partd of the 439 which may /may not be of help. PM your e mail address and I will send if you think they may be of use.

Steve

Looks like we're all in Wales, so far..................................

I suspect that the roller drive is the same. If you need, I'll take the cover off and check mine if you tell me what you need me to look for.

If you haven't already, DON'T take the bottom table rise and fall chain assembly apart with out marking the exact location of the teeth on each of the 4 cog wheels. They are exactly aligned and getting this right is very difficult and results in uneven thicknessing if it's out by even one cog.

All best

Argus":v5lwm0fj said:
Looks like we're all in Wales, so far..................................

Almost, I'm about 8 miles from the border :)

I suspect that the roller drive is the same. If you need, I'll take the cover off and check mine if you tell me what you need me to look for.

OK, thanks. I'm just off to have a look at it now and see if I can work it out. I'll let you know if I need any info.

If you haven't already, DON'T take the bottom table rise and fall chain assembly apart with out marking the exact location of the teeth on each of the 4 cog wheels. They are exactly aligned and getting this right is very difficult and results in uneven thicknessing if it's out by even one cog.

I haven't taken it apart. I did consider it but it still runs quite smoothly and I can get to the parts that need greasing fairly easily. Now you have told me that I won't even consider dismantling it unless there's a catastrophic failure!

Thanks,
Paul.

Wow, what a great resource, thanks MM - found some great info on my newly acquired Myford ML7.

Having looked through various Kity diagrams and manuals on that site I can conclude that the the 638 has very little in common with either the 636 or the 439 #-o

I didn't get a chance to get out to the workshop today so in the Morning I'll be out there and I'm not coming back in the house until it's fully assembled again!

There aren't many parts so there can only be a limited number of combinations of how they all fit together :roll:

Paul.

Latest posts

Back