Small workshops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoffy

Established Member
Reaction score
I was watching one of those American YouTube woodworking video's, the chap described his workshop as 'small' with only around 500 square feet! I started to wonder what sort of size is common in the UK. Mine is around about 300 square feet, what sort of size is your workshop?

About 800 square feet, split into two rooms, a machine room (concrete floor) and a bench room (sprung wood floor). Like everyone else I could do with just a little bit of extra space.

Mine is about 17 feet by 39 feet, an area of about 660 square feet. I thought it would be plenty big enough, but since building for woodworking I've invested in some metalwork kit too, including a milling machine, surface grinder and a Colchester lathe so the space isn't as abundant as I thought. Being a bit tidier would help, but I'm just not that way inclined. I have an adjacent shed for storage - that's a bit untidy too. Time for a good clean up. Trouble is, whatever size shed / workshop I had it would not be quite enough. I know I'm a lot luckier than many though.

K

4 metres by 5 metres, which I work out as about 215 square feet. I thought it was huge when I started with just my big lathe, a couple of grinders and a load of donated wood, but my wise old woodworking mentor smiled wryly and told me that I would soon be rearranging it to get more space and he wasn't wrong. #-o (hammer)

Mine's about 780 square feet, although that includes a loo and kitchenette (or at least it will do when I plumb them in!)

Mine is of very flexible dimensions . It mostly depends upon how much I can claim back from the areas the wife claims from me. At it's best it is maybe 12 by 16 or so , at worst it's just the bit where my tools are hung , stacked or buried under her stuff. Not complaining , as she is careful how she stacks things , makes use of proper storage bins and containers and never yet has broken or placed in jeopardy a single item. I just wish I could figure out how she does this all so FAST.

8'x9'. The back half of a single garage (with a stud wall in place to keep 'her' stuff clean at the front...)

My previous previous workshop was about 30' x 12' but was under the eaves so only around 6' of that width was high enough to stand up in!!

mine looks a lot on paper about 700 square feet but because I've got about 12 lumps of wadkin things are quite snug

Not UK but I got 18.5m2 to work with. Which comes to nearly 200 square feet. That's the room I got dedicated for woodworking workshop anyway, the whole garage is 462 square feet.

Mines a single attached garage and a double drive (that is if I can find somewhere to park the cars), however I'm looking for a single bedroom bungalow with a double garage (SWMBO says, "in your dreams")

Baldhead

Not UK but have main room of 70 sq metres about 630 sq feet and another room that will be more for metalwork type stuff and garage of about 56 sq metres about 500 sq feet. There are a couple of other rooms not quite as wide or bit but I still need to renovate them, windows, doors and concrete. So quite a good size but could still do with more. :)
:D

Back