Garage doors and hardware

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogbower

Reaction score
I put up a green oak frame garage last year and now its time to make some doors.
The opening is approx. 2m high and just over 3m wide.
The original plan was to do a round the corner design, made up with 5 doors, so each around 60cm wide, each door with a bit of glazing in the top.
However due to the high cost of the rail system I am also considering making them like bifold patio doors folding inwards, again still 5 doors, the hardware appears more reasonably priced.

So questions are, what timber to use? The doors will be painted when made.

And anyone got any pointers to suitable hardware?

I was looking at PC Henderson for the round the corner tracking, huge range of patio systems but I obviously will have to drive a car in and out, but its not the everyday car so don't mind a bit of a step.
Thanks Stuart.

Hi dogbower,

Douglas fir would be my choice over cedar. Cedar with it's natural oils can be tricky to keep paint on, or lasting for more than a couple of years, if you wish you could just let the cedar weather. Jamey

How about AWO? last set of garage doors I made were hung on the large stainless bearing hinges and they worked fine. Those doors were about 2m square.

Teak obviously.

I Jest..

I agree with the Accoya suggestion but you have to use a stain blocking type primer.
Zinsser is a good one but I have recently been using a primer from Finland called Otex from Tikkurilla which is great stuff oil based but goes dry in 40 minutes. Really easy to de-nib.

Ollie

Back