Which wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelsea_uk

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been turning for just a little while now and am starting feel like i can trust myself you buy some bigger blanks for my stockpile.

Does any one have any suggestions for some woods which turn well for a beginner, look good and don't cost too much.

I will be getting some green wood in but like to have a bit of a stock of blanks for both spindle and bowl.

Chelsea.

I found good old English Oak was great as a beginner. It's plentiful, inexpensive, beautiful and very varied so that would definitely be on my list. Also Yew is an all time favourite of turners due to its high density and fine grain, ability to hold crisp details and the delightful contrast between the creamy sapwood and orangy heartwood.

But many of the classic British natives, Beech, Sycamore, chestnut will often yield lovely results and don't cost the earth. Perhaps consider harvesting them yourself from peoples firewood piles. Turning them green is an altogether more joyful experience than the dry, dusty seasoned wood although be prepared that green turnings wont hold their final shape as they continue to dry.

Hi

It's all a bit of a compromise really:

Yew is probably the best UK species for ease of turning coupled with good appearance

Sycamore turns very well but can be rather bland in appearance

Elm can be stunning in appearance but the interlocking nature of it's grain can make getting a good finish a little harder

Oak has a good appearance, especially if the medullary rays are visible and is not too difficult to get a good finish

Ash is on a par with oak, slightly easier to finish but not quite so good appearance, (you need to look out for olive ash - as the darker heartwood is known).

Beech takes a good finish but is bland - spalted beech is very distinctive but the spalting can make the wood 'corky' and difficult to finish.

That should give you food for thought :)

Edited to clarify the comments above refer to kiln dried or fully seasoned blanks.

Regards Mick

add to that list virtually any fruit wood, apple, cherry, plum, pear...all fabulous for turners and the 2 darker classics for Brits include walnut and Laburnum although due to their greater rarity will cost more.

But taking pot luck with whatever you find in a fire wood pile is part of the fun when you start out. I would stick all manner of woods on the lathe when I started out just for practice and did birch, horse chestnut, blackthorn, hawthorn, crab apple, Eucalyptus, tons of oak, willow, construction pine, old fence posts, rosewood (gorgeous and ludicrously expensive), teak, Iroko (hideous when dry), elder, hazel, ash, holly

Just wack it on and give it a go.

there is plenty of free wood available if you look for it. Tree surgeons have to pay to get rid of their waste as do joinery shops etc. No harm in ringing round and seeing if you can relieve them of some 'waste'.

ebay often has 'firewood' for sale for peanuts and has turned up some good stuff, laburnum for me!

A bit limited here with european woods but fruit woods are fantastic and often smell great, hawthorn takes detail like nothing else, I like elm but it is harder to get a good finish but when you get there it's magnificent. Beech is versatile in that it takes stain and polishes well.
But really anything you can get is worth trying especially if you have a wood fire.

Keep an eye open for people doing building work in their gardens. It can turn up all sorts of surprises. The absolute best wood I have had to turn has been a bit of bay. I had no idea what it would look like or how it would turn. It turns like mature cheddar cheese, polishes when wet and doe snot seem to change shape at all as it dries. It does however turn into a lovely golden brown.
Some woods like willow and poplar turn easily but not very interesting as wood to look at. Don't be put off because they both cut extremely easily and are ideal for getting to know your tools.

Thanks all - I've taken the advice of just give it all a go :) and ordered a half sack of blanks for home of wood in rye.

Back