I've bought my first set of chisels...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
I should say I've bought two sets of chisels. Was having a look on Gumtree on Tuesday night and saw these, they'd been up there for a little over two weeks and thought they'd have already been sold.
They were advertised for £90.00, picked them up for £75.00. All unused, the box set still had the cellophane wrapper on.
There's a boxed set of 6mm, 10mm, 12mm, 16mm, 20mm and 26mm, then there were 30mm and 40mm ones, and a set of mortice chisels in 4mm, 6mm, 8mm and 10mm.
All I need now is a set of sharpening stones and a few lessons :D

Of course what you need to do is seek some sharpening advise on here, but I'm not sure if anybody has any opinion on it.......

lovely chisels by the way!

PeteG,

I would say you did well, I don't own any Narex chisels, but have read a lot of good thins about them, first sharpen them up, second enjoy them. Good luck on had tool slope, it gets slick, and steep, FAST!!!. Jamey

RobinBHM":2d58i0gh said:
Of course what you need to do is seek some sharpening advise on here, but I'm not sure if anybody has any opinion on it.......

jimi43":2d58i0gh said:
...about sharpening.... :mrgreen:

Jimi

I was very careful in not asking for advice on sharpening! But then, with technological advancements within the world of sharpening stones, and allowing for changes in technique and opinions since it was last
discussed... :lol:

Self Taught":2d58i0gh said:
PeteG,

I would say you did well, I don't own any Narex chisels, but have read a lot of good thins about them, first sharpen them up, second enjoy them. Good luck on had tool slope, it gets slick, and steep, FAST!!!. Jamey

Thanks Jamey. I was surprised how light the bevel edge ones are, not that I had anything to compare the weight to, just thought with all that metal they would be quite weighty. I'm finding that steep hand tool slope sooner than I'd anticipated. I decided to try and flatten the drawer sides this afternoon with the Jack plane I bought last week, it took me a couple of hours with tea breaks and all, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was only after I had eight rough drawer sides that I realised a smoothing plane might have been handy, so I got the sander out!

I have second hand advice that the first mm or so of Narex chisels is flaky steel. It's certainly been my experience that new Narex chisels, freshly sharpened, have very crumbly edges. However, after another sharpening or two, you'll get into good steel that is stronger and keeps its edge longer. So don't be disheartened if you experience the same.

RobinBHM":1rp59qqu said:

lovely chisels by the way!

*shrill womans monty python voice & pointing wildly* It was him; HIM!!!!

(and ducks for cover)

How about some first hand evidence:

http://www.narexchisels.com/Narex_Chise ... Steel.html

Narex chisels are ground before being hardened, so you may find that edge retention improves significantly after the first couple of honings, this is completely normal and once the first couple of millimetres have been sharpened away you will begin to experience what a pleasure Cr-Mn steel is to use.

Fromey":2pd3peb3 said:
I have second hand advice that the first mm or so of Narex chisels is flaky steel. It's certainly been my experience that new Narex chisels, freshly sharpened, have very crumbly edges. However, after another sharpening or two, you'll get into good steel that is stronger and keeps its edge longer. So don't be disheartened if you experience the same.

Thanks Fromey and apologies for the late reply. I've been having a go at sharpening the 40 mm as it's nice and wide, I won't say how long I've spent on it, but I've had a full cardiovascular workout and it this rate it'll be Christmas before I've got all twelve up to scratch and I'll be a stone or two lighter, which would be a good thing anyway.
The bevel is almost mirror like and sharp as sharp can be. I noticed the blood way before the finger started throbbing :D

Well done on the chisels. I have those mortice chisels and some of the cabinet makers ones. I find them great for the money and once past the softer bit of steel they hold a good edge. :)

Back