Bandsaw Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexam

Bandsaw Boxmaker
Reaction score
I would like to use a 1/8" blade on my 16" Record BS400 bandsaw. The problem is in the guides being so close to the teeth.

I have considered the Carter Stabiizer, but the cost plus shipping and duty is prohbitive. Is there something else that would allow the use of a small blade, possibly allowing the teeth to be covered, with cooblocks, but not damaged.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone that can suggest a solution and how it works.

How is the blade supported for wider blades- blocks or bearings?

Could you put cool block on instead, or even any blocks tipped with a bit of mdf. It will cut the first time you use it but then be fine. You could, I think on my axi but I don't know your saw.

This is a problem on many bandsaws.

I get round it by facing the bearings with a thin disc of MDF, the stuff used to back picture frames. It can be adjusted right up to the blade itself. The teeth cut their way in, of course, but only so far, the body of the blade remains supported.

I support a 1/16" blade this way, for cutting dovetails. If you dig out your copy of Workshop Essentials 5 you will see how well it works.

S

Thanks for the replies. Small blades fo tiny turns.

Steve, ........ I did ask on another thread some time ago about your MDF discs and what make of double sided tape you use. I'm a bit surprised that it stays in place, but perhaps it's got some good 'stick' to it. Worth a try as I have some of that backing board. So what tape please.?

Alex

Hi Alex
Erm, I don't know. Just ordinary DS carpet tape. Nothing special, certainly. Maybe 3M. Not sure if I still have it. But it works just fine. Just make sure that the bearing face is clean and not covered with dust and you should be good to go.
S

Thanks for the prompt reply Steve,

That now makes more sence, as the carpet tape is definately stronger than a lot of ordinary double sided tape that is vailable. I already have a couple that hardly seemed suitable, but for some reason, double sided carpet tape didn't come to mind.

Cheers for now, will let you know how this goes when I have tried it out.
Alex

Back