Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petrolhead

Reaction score
Hi, first post

I am after a bandsaw however I am restricted with space. I want to cut both wood and aluminium so I think I will need a two speed machine and different blades. I also know I need to buy some decent blades so need to include this in my budget.

I have seen this machine - Axmister HBS250n which seems to fit my budget and will fit in my Worksop.

Just wondering if this is a good choice and if not any other suggestions great fully recd

Hello,

I'm not familiar with this particular bandsaw, but do have a big Axi bandsaw. Axminster stuff always seems good value for money, for the features they include. For me though, I think this bandsaw is minuscule. What are you making with the materials you need to cut. Are you sure this saw will be adequate for the tasks you want, now and in the future. My first bandsaw was much bigger than the one you are looking at, and I quickly outgrew it! My advice is to make sure it will do everything you want. The limiting factors here are motor size, and throat size. The depth of cut stated on this machine is bigger that a motor of its size will handle in most woods. Unless you are cutting balsa or polystyrene, a depth of cut is going to be about 2-3 inches max for the power here. The throat will restrict the width of material being cut. Make sure you don't want to cut anything wider than the stated maximum, which migh be less if you use a fence and you might find cutting shapes frustrating when you find you can't turn the material round because it hits the column! Just be sure the machine has he capacities you need.

Skip tooth blades are excellent for both wood and aluminium.

Mike.

I hear what your saying however my workshop is a 10' x 8' shed which already accomodates a lathe, milling machine, piller drill and workbench so space is at a premium however open to suggestions about what to buy.

It will be maily used for cutting aluminium to make car and bike parts

Hello,

I'm not saying this saw will definitely not suit you, just highlighting that it is worth evaluating what you do and if you have accounted for the saws capacities in context. Speak to the tech guys at Axminster, they are usually very helpful and will know more about the machine and whey ther it is suitable for the work you need to put it to. It might be perfectly suitable, don't go buying a bigger machine on my account! You say you have a lathe. Is it wood turning or metal. If wood, will the bandsaw be used for cutting out turning blanks and will it be beefy enough to do it?

Mike.

Hello,

It looks like you are mainly a metalworker then. There is a metalworking section on these forums. You might be able to discuss your needs more adequately with the posters there. Give the Axminster techs a phone too, and tell them the gauges/sections of aluminium you will be cutting, thickness of wood and sizes of the sheets. If you do find you need a bigger machine, think about mobility wheels for it. They can be easily tucked into a corner, when not in use, to save space.

The Poolwood machine looks good, but again, I have no direct experience with it. Record Power also do some good machines and are doing free delivery at the moment. I am familiar with their small bandsaw, which is very well made, and is similarly specified to the Axminster one you first mentioned. It works well in the school environment it is in, for cutting thin plywood, but anything thicker, it struggles for power.

Mike.

I have a variety of bandsaws
a 6x4 metal cutting bandsaw which i use for ferrous materials
a large startrite for wood
2 inca machines with different pitch blades
2 dewalt/elu machines with different blades ( one with a knife blade very useful)

I use the inca's for cutting alloys they easily cut up to 4 " thickness in solid alloy
and i'm sure they would manage 6

they cut alloy better than anything i've seen or had

though i do use my bosch chop saw for alloy strip /profiles

Ian

Whichever machine you settle on, get your blades from Ian John at Tuffsaws. Everyone on here raves about them, and for good reason. Ask his advice and take it, he knows what he's talking about.

Yes Ian at Tuffsaws very helpfull got my first blades from him a couple of weeks ago excellent service.
Alan

Petrolhead":2quxnrry said:
Petrolhead":2quxnrry said:
Having spend more time looking this bandsaw is currently looking favourite

That looks pretty much a clone of a Woodstar SB12...which is a clone of...
I don't know that it's identical, but you can get it £140 cheaper. It's not a bad saw if you are prepared to spend a couple of hours faffing about, but that applies to anything at this sort of price afaik. I got mine about 18mths ago, it was nearly £100 cheaper then.

phil.p":2tjr5isy said:
I don't know that it's identical, but you can get it £140 cheaper. It's not a bad saw if you are prepared to spend a couple of hours faffing about, but that applies to anything at this sort of price afaik. I got mine about 18mths ago, it was nearly £100 cheaper then.
Where can you get it cheaper?

I assumne the Woodstar SB12 is a 12" machine whereas the one I am looking at is 14"

I have one of these Axminster bandsaws. It was bought initially for cutting bowl blanks although I have now used it for a variety of small/medium jobs. It seems to work fine and will do 4" depth of cut in hardwood, albeit slowly. When I looked at other similar machines the roller bearing blade guides were a plus.

Main issue as noted above is to be clear what you want to use it for - the small table and limited throat means that cutting larger boards is limited. With the fence fitted the effective throat is only 5" or 6". However with a 10 x 8 shed full of other kit it may be that handling larger pieces of wood would anyway be problematic. Both the fence and the mitre fence are rather basic but when set up properly with a good blade will cut accurately - producing sub 1mm veneers very easily.

It's almost inevitable that you will find that it is too small for some jobs - if I were buying again I would go up a size. However as a small good value machine I have absolutely no complaints.
Terry.

That price was keightley machinery - It was the first price I came to on Googling, there may well be a delivery charge on top of any of them of course. I got mine from Kendall, i believe.

Yes, looking at the Fox again it's bigger in depth and motor size, so actually there's little comparison other than design. Having said that, the smaller one might be worth a thought - I've ripped 7" hardwoods on it without any problem, although if you were doing it large scale you'd be better with the larger one. Depends what you wish to pay.

Back