Fire Wood Pile - Spalted Oak?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Was cutting up some firewood when I came across what I think is spalted oak - turned a couple of small bowls from it (still at a the early part of the learning curve with turning, yet alone natural edge stuff...). Do you think I've identified it correctly?

Cheers

Stewart

Well it's certainly spalted and it looks like Oak to me from the photos.
I would have thought that Oak has such a distinctive smell, it would leave you in no doubt when turning....unless the spalting effects the smell ?

Looks great though, that's the first time I have seen spalted Oak, I am impressed.

I would bet money on that wood being oak..

Not had any spalt like that, some went rotten when left out in a field in a heap :(

Thanks for the comments. Didn't much notice a feet smell while turning it...probably concentrating too much! I'm pretty sure it is oak - it was from a much larger piece that had been left for perhaps two years or more and it's only just hard enough in the spalted area.
Cheers
Stewart

I find the grain gets very punky in oak as it rots. If it becomes too problematic to retain a finish, try flooding it with sanding sealer or very runny (cheap) ca glue before letting dry and continuing.

+1 for spalted oak but it's very noticeable that the spalting is restricted to the sapwood which is pretty much as expected as the sapwood rots quite easily.

As Bob says it can be punky and difficult to finish.
Jon

Back