fire wood question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melinda_dd

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok... my question is....

If wood Has been sitting outside for years is it classed as seasoned enough to turn...
Have stacks of tree bits at work that im gagging to get my hands on.
Been sitting there 2yrs min.
But am I going to have to make space in the workshop and further dry it?

Newbie question I know but you wouldn't believe the amount of wood I'm talking about!!

its not an exact science because it depends on the micro climate surrounding the wood in question. But, the rule of thumb is that wood takes approximately 1 year per inch of thickness plus a year to season. If outside and not in direct rain contact that may season to somewhere between 15 and 25% moisture content but is unlikely to be much less. My experience is it tends to get to around 15 to 20%. Given wood in a centrally heated house may well go down to 8% then you can see that if you turn it it will continue to lose moisture and either go oval in the case of a bowl or split along the axis if a spindle project.

If its a bowl, you're best off rough turning to 10% of final thickness and storing in a bag with some wet shavings to allow the last drying to finish slowly. Check once a week with a moisture meter till its around 12% then finish the final thickness and polish. With a spindle, bring it indoors to a cool area like a garage and let it finish drying naturally or maybe experiment with the microwave technique. I would store indoors and wait a few months personally assuming it was already mostly seasoned outdoors in the first place. But bear in mind 2 years is nowhere near enough to naturally season anything thick, certainly not log sized. Bottom line, invest in a moisture meter and then you really know where you stand by removing the guess work.

Well it really depends, what kind of wood, how big are the bits, and how it's been stored /weathered and then it will depend on what you want to make with it. If you are making Windsor chair legs then it's probably already to dry, if you're looking to turn large salad bowls then bring it in for a few more years. Up to you to decide in the end. Get some and see what happens.

Wood dry's about one inch per year but large logs take a lot longer you say there's a lot so take a piece or two and give it a try :D

If you are talking about use for your small decorations etc. then if you can get the wood converted into stock sizes nearer your requirements and store indoors for a while you should see if it moves much or decides to split. (can't remember if I've seen you mention a bandsaw)

If you have a few small pieces and want to dry them well below 8% , so they will only expand in normal room conditions, place them in the warming draw or second oven in the cooker when doing main oven cooking. There's enough waste heat to do a good job.

Put them in sealed containers until you need to turn or glue-up.

Back