New Router: Hitachi m12v2, Dewalt DW625EK OR Dewalt DW622K?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulb1944

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first router, so need some advice please.

Initially, I was looking at the Erbauer ERB380ROU 2100W, from Screwfix, for £100 (was £150) but I found out that the on/off switch could not be locked, also sounds like the fence is plastic.

So, then, after some research, I have come up with a choice of three, initially 2 but have just added the DW622:

- the Hitachi m12v2
- the Dewalt DW625ek
- the Dewalt DW622K

Any thoughts?

I want 1/4" and 1/2" for flexibility, must have dust extraction facility and variable speed, may be later be able to add it to a router table.

My initial job is to put intumescent strips in new fire doors. Then who knows, except our new house needs EVERYTHING doing to it, so the router will be used!

Thanks in advance.

Not on your list, but my choice would be ( and was) a Triton TRA001. Excels in a router table too.

Thanks JJ1, that's put the cat among the pigeons!!! Just done a quick search, looks good, but then watched a video review where they had issues fitting dust extraction to it - too small or too big. Which resulted them being unable to see what they were cutting as the chippings and dust covered the guard.

What's your experience?

Initially I will be using what ever router I get, free hand, but with the potential to get a table in the future.

As others will confirm, the dust extraction is pretty poor on most routers; I wouldn't let it define the purchase, if I were you. If you have use of a table in the future, you might consider getting one of the multi-base models, such as the Bosch GMF1600CE (leave the fixed base in the table, which gives above the table height adjustment) or router now that is lighter and more manageable, with the indention of getting a big hefty one for the table. I picked up a Freud for £30, for instance, which lives in my table.

More cat and more pigeons!

I tend to leave the Triton permanently in a router table, so there's no problem with dust extraction there as I have my Lidl wet/dry vac attached to the router table's fence.
I've only used the router handheld on half a dozen occasions and the dust extraction was fine. All that was required was a 6 inch piece of standard vacuum cleaner hose to screw into the Triton's transparent guard, bought for pence from a car boot sale.
Some people find the Triton a little unwieldy for hand held use as it's certainly a bit of a beast of a machine. In my limited experience of hand held routing with it, I can see where they're coming from, particularly if trying to balance it on a narrow edge. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it's size and weight. I tend to use a smaller 1/4 inch Bosch router for handheld use and light duty work.
I can certainly recommend the Triton and I wouldn't want to be without mine.

A lot depends upon immediate needs; lots of people would advocate having 2 or more routers, with a big beast left for the table. But if kitchen fitting comes into the equation, for example, that big beast may well be used hand-held too.

If I were to have just one router, it would be the something like the Bosch 1617EVS that I have, being very versatile (enough power for most jobs, 1/4 & 1/2", very stable, great speed control...).

Sure, I could improve upon the Freud for a big machine for hand-held use, but as long as you're aware for the instability and kick that many similar machines also have, you can deal with it. These make very good second-hand purchases; I would consider others, such as the Triton, Hitatchi, the big 2kw Bosch, were I buying a new machine.

Back