New Toy - Bosch GCM 12 GDL - first impressions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeddedhed

Established Member
Reaction score
Woo Woo!!
Delivery man from FFX has just struggled up the drive and down the path to the workshop with a mahoosive box containing my latest weapon of mass construction.
On unpacking the first thing I can say about it is that it's not what I would call a 'portable' saw - it weighs a ton and is pretty unwieldy to move around.
Not that i particularly care about this as it's destined to be permanently sited in the workshop - I have a smaller Makita for site work.
I certainly wouldn't want to have to load this into the van every morning and unload it every evening, and getting it up onto a scaffold for the roofing jobs would be interesting to say the least.

It's pretty much ready for work straight out of the box - just a locking knob on the front of the swivel table to be screwed in and we're good to go.
It feels seriously powerful, and rears up in your hand when you both pull and release the trigger.
The laser will need adjusting, but from a quick look at the manual this should be pretty straightforward.
I'll post up any other comments and observations when I've put it through it's paces over the next few days for those who are interested.

2014-08-05 14.58.13.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-08-05 14.58.13.jpg
    2014-08-05 14.58.13.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 1,690
I have one of those also, and I think Steve Maskery is currently using one on his workshop build.

Agree about the weight (mines on a wheeled stand) and the power. Adjusting the lasers (allen key iirc) is straightforward and I needed to tweak the saw slightly to get it cutting at 90 degrees. I'll be interested to hear your views once you've had some time to use it.

Spot on Mike.
The saw was cutting a shad out from 90 degs when set to the zero detent - very quick and easy to adjust.
The lasers are all over the place and need adjusting which I'll do this evening if there's nothing good on tele.
Getting the laser cover on and off is a bit of a faff though, so I may not bother. I've never used lasers on a mitre saw before and I think I'd rather trust the old method of bringing the stationary saw-blade down to the line or mark to check the cut position and then firing up and making the cut. We'll see.
The way the saw rears up under power was initially a bit disconcerting but I reckon I'll quickly get used to it. It's not a sudden lurch or bucking or anything worrying like that - more a sensation that if you don't show it who's boss it'll bite!!
I've currently got it sitting on top of my workbench which to my mind is bit high for a mitre saw. My current set up has my Makita about 150mm lower than this, so I'll get a better feel for it when I've built it a unit to sit on.
So far though I'm mighty impressed with the build quality and the general feel of the beast.
I do think that if it was your first ever mitre saw it could scare you a bit, but then I'm used to some pretty fierce old Makita saws

I have had one for about nine months now. When I first got it I thought it was brilliant.
Now, in the calmer light of having got used to it I think..... IT IS BRILLIANT.
Mine was spot on straight out of the box and yes, you do quickly get used to the way it kicks as you turn it on. Just do it before you move the glide out.

Back