drop box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
My Camvac is on its way, so I am starting to think again about my dust extraction setup.

I cant find what I am looking for online, or on the forum. Is there any reason that I couldn't use a normal domestic wheelie bin for a drop box, and soil pipe fittings to connect the in-flow and out-flow hose. This could be stored outside, tipped onto a separate compost heap when required and would be easy to move around because it is on wheels. it would need some sort of rubber/foam seal to make it airtight and probably a bungee to hold the lid closed.

We have always had 2 green bins since we moved into the house, so i have a spare.

it is a bit big, but it would sit outside, so probably not an issue. When i wanted to use it i would just hook up the hose and away i go. One of the "sad and single" wheelie bins that i sometimes see around would be better, but i dont have one. With 4" fittings though i need something quite large.

The alternative will be a metal drum on wheels I think. I dont want something that needs emptying every 5 minutes when i use the planer thicknesser. The wheels are only good on a decent surface though- at least with the wheelie bin i can take it to the bottom of the garden for disposing of.

I dont, realistically know how big a drop box needs to be. As a hobbiest, at times we produce the same amount of chips as the pros- we just dont do so every day. I know that it doesnt seem to take long to get shavings everywhere from a thicknessing session.

My wheelie bins allow the lid to pivot through 270 degrees and hang down the back. If yours do too. then I'd suggest making a replacement lid with the pipes in (or even a Thien Separator). This way you don't have to leave a modified bin out for the bin lorry and also you can use it with your other bin when on a big project.

hth

MM

good idea. I think that they are also slightly tapered, so that it could be a nice tight fit, sealed with a rubber edge.

It also means that it doesn't need to be full, it can be emptied part full on a fortnightly basis.

marcros":2vsccu8l said:
good idea. I think that they are also slightly tapered, so that it could be a nice tight fit, sealed with a rubber edge.

It also means that it doesn't need to be full, it can be emptied part full on a fortnightly basis.

Another benefit of emptying when only part full, is that the weight will be lower and also some room for how shall I say, more conventional looking domestic waste - the type of waste that would discourage anyone probing lower down :wink:

MM

Latest posts

Back