8" x 3" ULTEX Double sided Diamond Bench Stones from ITS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Bray

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just received a pair of Ultex Double Sided Diamond bench stones which are 8" x 3" and are almost exact copies of the Trend versions of the same item (including the diamond shaped slurry channels). They even come with a storage pouch and non-slip mat just like the Trend versions. They also have a 3 year guarantee.

I bought the Diamond Stone essentials pack which includes the pair of double sided stones (Coarse 300/Medium 600 & Fine 1000/Extra Fine 1200) along with a honing guide (but not the non-slip mats) for a bargain price of £69.99 plus VAT, which is a great saving on the price of a similar Trend version for a single 8" x 3" Double sided stone (coarse 300/fine 1000) which costs £82.99 plus VAT.

I already have a new type (with slurry channels) Extra Coarse (180) 8" x 3" Trend Diamond stone along with a old type (no slurry channels) Double sided Trend Stone 2.5" x 7" Coarse/Fine (300/1000) and can genuinely see no difference in the two makes of stones and I think I will put away my Trend 2.5" x 7"and just use the Trend Extra Coarse along with the 2 Ultex Stones.

I now have a sharpening system of 180, 300, 600, 1000, 1200, Diamond Stones and a 3000/8000 Waterstone which will followed by polishing on a strop. Here's to missing fingers :lol:

I bought a 2 sided ultex stone from Its. I think they are quite good and solid as well.

I tried to find a review of them but didnt find any. My understanding of cheaper diamond stones is that the grits arent consistent in size. Id be really interested if any body else has tried these stones.

I've spent all afternoon playing with mine, they are equally as good as the Trend stones I already have, they are on the same type and size of plate and apart from their name on the bottom of each stone there is no visible difference. The Ultex 300 grit and 1000 grits seem to cut much the same as my Trend 300 & 1000 grit stone although I have the benefit of additional 600 & 1200 grits as well.

My #4 plane is taking shavings like never before. I'm well happy.

I bought a set after seeing this thread, highly delighted with them. I got a full set by buying two of the double sided stones. I finish on Arkansas stones, but for restoring primary bevels, and site sharp tools they are brilliant. Have had some cheap ones in the past, which were awful so haven't used any 'big' brand stuff to compare them with, but from what I'd expect from very good stones they are everything I expected. Would not hesitate to buy them again.

Since the one common factor with all diamond stones, in all brands, is that they're very coarse and fast to start with, and then settle down, but sometimes lose their diamonds over time, I would be interested to hear from anyone who's had (and used) these stones for a few months.

BugBear

bugbear":33d31tlr said:
Since the one common factor with all diamond stones, in all brands, is that they're very coarse and fast to start with, and then settle down, but sometimes lose their diamonds over time, I would be interested to hear from anyone who's had (and used) these stones for a few months.

BugBear

I've had mine for ages now, well over a year, and I am so pleased with them, I recently bought a second set to put away for a rainy day (300/600 and 1000/1200). I do use a 16000 Shapton Ceramic for final polishing, but they are sharp enough really without the final polish.

No apparent loss of diamonds, they have settled down to a degree and are much more consistent and less aggressive now than they first were. Bloody good plates and still completely flat too.

kostello":3awf6znc said:
http://www.its.co.uk/pd/21002B-Ultex-Diamond-Stone-Mega-Pack-_ULT21002B.htm

is this it?

Don't think so the original poster said two double sided stones this has one double sided and a couple of smaller ones.

These stones are back on sale at ITS.

Don't think they are as cheap as they were previously, but I have just picked up 2 double sided stones. Coarse/Medium and Fine/Extra Fine for £53 including postage.

I would not have bought them at higher price.

Back