Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldhead

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a bigger bandsaw as I need to re saw timber up to about 12' (300mm) I have whittled it down to these two,

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/pr ... 9iwotq9KSM

Or

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... 0b-bandsaw

I'm leaning slightly towards the Record as it has a 5 year gaurantee and I don't have to have a 16amp supply, but if the Axy is the best then I'm happy to have a 16a supply fitted, does anyone have either one of these machines? or could you offer any advice, I am a hobby woodworker.

Baldhead

i have an axminster plus 4300. I am not sure whether it is the predecessor of the Axminster one listed (I think that mine is actually the industrial one). Either way it will share many of teh same features and I rate it very highly. Mine has a different fence on, but looks similar otherwise.

Mr Random Orbital has a large Record- it may be that same one. Again, he has given glowing reviews of that. The 5 year warranty on the motor may just edge it in their favour.

My axminster is on a 13A supply and must be on a similar sized motor.

Stew

That's a pretty big £s investment.

I recently bought an old Startright 352 and am delighted with it. Built like a brick s**t house.
You could pick up a really good used one for half your budget and spend some of the savings on quality blades from Tuffsaws.

You're welcome to pop in for a coffee and inspection if you want - just gime me a bell.

Bob

Lons":34nimnfy said:
Stew

That's a pretty big £s investment.

I recently bought an old Startright 352 and am delighted with it. Built like a brick s**t house.
You could pick up a really good used one for half your budget and spend some of the savings on quality blades from Tuffsaws.

You're welcome to pop in for a coffee and inspection if you want - just gime me a bell.

Bob
Late uncle left me a few quid and it's burning a hole in my pocket :lol: or it will be when I get my hands on it!

I have been looking out for a secondhand Startrite but if it's not local then by the time I hire transport and rope in friends to help me pick it up the price just mounts up, plus and it's a big plus for me Record have a 5 year guarantee, that together with a free wheel kit and free delivery means I've got to strike now.

Baldhead

You would be very foolish to take advice from someone who bought a crapomatic from Fox, but the Axi one tilts towards the blade, not away from it. This could be a real asset if you do a lot of bowl blank cutting. I don't know which way the Record saw tilts but I do know it is well made as it does not suffer from any of the design or quality issues I had with the crapomatic. apart from that one possible issue I would put my money on the record. I have learned a bit in the last few months about bandsaws :)

Back