Preventative Action Needed ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmonaut99

Reaction score
I have a (long-running) project which has been temporarily halted following a recently relocation, (due to a lack of suitable space to continue, etc, etc.)
The project includes some nice, fairly pricey, hardwood (wenge) as part of the design, (and is being stored indoors, behind furniture).

I'm concerned that during the period of inactivity whether there is a risk that the hardwood may be exposed to woodworm insects, (despite zero evidence of any woodworm activity anywhere in the house), as I read somewhere recently that the bugs preferring younger timber.

So my question is - Should I be considering spraying the timber as a preventative measure ?

Thanks for any responses.

From memory, and this is going back a few years, I seem to recall that the adult wood worm tunnel out of the wood and go walk/fly about sometime around about May. At which point they alight upon a tasty piece of untreated timber and burrow in for a giant feed on your best bit of juicy staircase/floorboard/joist. Anecdotal evidence of finding a number of them wandering about in the house during the spring time would seem to support this theory. They're easily recognisable by their head being the same size as the rest of their body (sort of cat's whiskers for insects); picture a small brown tic-tac on legs if you will.

So you might be ok leaving your wood pile lounging about the house until next spring assuming this years migrants have successfully found a new home already. Assumng you have any which you appear not to anyway.

If it we're me I'd google "woodworm wood munching tour dates" or some equally suitable phrase.

Given it was probably 20 years ago I researched this I could have my wires completely crossed and be burbling on about something else entirely. Apologies if that's the case.

Back