Thicknesser/Planer, Why have one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonImprovements

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

1st of august i install my new 10ft x 10ft workshop. Needless to say I'm quite excited.

As I'm going through some sort of tool list every now and then a thicknesser and planer pops up. Now my asking isn't what you would use one for as i fully understand its use. But what i am asking is why have one? If you are working with reclaimed timber day in day out, then yes i could see the need, making odd sizes uniform in a couple of passes.

Other than that, care to shed any light?

nev":29233e2c said:
or to look at it another way - Am i only ever going to make things from 'off the shelf' timber sizes? or would I like to be able make something any size?

Do you mean as in use what you already have lying around the workshop? or as in a size that isn't available off the shelf?

It depends on the materials you want to use and the type of projects you would like to build.

A saw and a planer thicknesser are core machines present in all joinery shops for initial processing of solid timber, especially hardwood. Whilst you could in theory order in PAR timber from a timber merchant, you pay an arm and a leg and probably wouldnt receive the straightness of timber you desire.

If you want to work in hardwood, for cabinetmaking or joinery it is most readily available sawn and a planer thicknesser is the key machine that allows you to prepare timber sections flat, square and straight. And as important, in any section you desire!

You'll have to excuse my ignorance as this worksop will be my sort of introduction to joinery. I guess when you are working in much more detail, timber, needs to be mm perfect.

Thanks for the insight and making me look at it from a different angle

DragonImprovements":2j6bif0i said:
nev":2j6bif0i said:
or to look at it another way - Am i only ever going to make things from 'off the shelf' timber sizes? or would I like to be able make something any size?

Do you mean as in use what you already have lying around the workshop? or as in a size that isn't available off the shelf?

Either / or.

If whatever project you envisage taking on can be made with 2x1, 2x2, 4x2 etc and from not quite straight stock then you can probably do without one. If you ever want to make for example a tissue box or a piece of furniture, then you may want Xmm x Ymm and so you will have a lot of planing to do to get your timber to size. you can of course do it all by hand but a P/T will simplify and expedite matters.

I only work in hardwoods and buy sawn planks. Without a P/T preparation would take many, many times longer.

It's the machine which will save you more work than any other. You could even contemplate doing everything else by hand if you have a PT for the hard work.

Also touched on earlier. Even purchased planed all round standard stock both soft and hardwoods are very very rarely square and true in my experience. When you're assembling an oak cabinet or making raised panel doors, you cant be doing with the bananas the timber yard ships you. You may well get away with it in construction softwoods but even then its a pain in the wotsit as Steve Maskery's thread attests to. Your P/T is the guarantee it will be true when you come to glue up.

Also, show me a wood yard that sells hardwood in 1/2" thicknesses :) Someones gunna find one now just to show me up! But its rare and yet that size is quite useful for panel infills etc. Again your P/T scores. Also timber you harvest yourself. There's nothing quite so smug inducing than making something out of the walnut tree that came down in your own garden and you had milled into boards you seasoned yourself :)

I have just bought a second hand PT. I am in the process of making a table out of reclaimed mahogany - no idea how I would do it with out the PT. I love it. Really glad I bought it.

For many years I tried to make do without a planer/thicknesser Just because I could not find one that I could afford . I planed most wood by hand and occasionally when I needed larger batches I brought them to an aquintance who hade a planer/thicknesser. I made a good bit of woodwork but it was very labourius. Of cause I always started from rough sawn wood. I could spend a whole day hand planing wood for a rather small project.

Then I bought a 60 years old 250mm Ejca planer/thicknesser. A cast iron machine with 1,4 kW motor without any kind of power feed on the thicknesser. I paid 600 euros for it. It was in pretty bad condition but after a thorough rebuild it revolutionized my woodworking. Suddenly I had instant and effortless access to straight and square timber. A whole day's worth of hand planing could be done on the machine in just two hours. I got a lot more work done with a lot less effort.
Later on I found that my woodworking hobby had grown into a side income so then I upgraded to a four in one combination machine with 610 mm planing capacity..... but that's another story.

As the others say: Buying four side planed wood is hardly an option when making proper joinery. It always comes in the wrong sizes for your project and at the wrong prize and usually it is neither straight nor flat nor square.

Back