DIY skew chisels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
There has to be a catch I haven't spotted...

... what's to stop me getting an inexpensive bevel-edged chisel, either s/h or from somewhere like Lidl, and grinding a skew on the end (re-tempering if necessary)?

Instinct tells me there has to be a reason not to do this, but I'm not presently sure what that might be.

DIve in, but if I'm being stupid, please be gentle :)

E.

it has been done before on here. Pete Maddox possibly, and if I recall correctly with aldi or lidl chisels. There may be more than one thread, the 2 variables may not be connected.

I have used a pair of red and yellow Marples ground like that for 35yrs. The only thing I'd say is that I don't see any point in grinding them at more than about twenty degrees - some commercial ones are ground at forty five.

phil.p":3e74ys2h said:
I have used a pair of red and yellow Marples ground like that for 35yrs. The only thing I'd say is that I don't see any point in grinding them at more than about twenty degrees - some commercial ones are ground at forty five.

I was thinking on similar lines - perhaps slightly more, say 30deg, but 45 seems silly, not least because of the sideways force that would make it harder to control. I was also going to go for 1/4" or 3/8"(tops), as I want them for cleaning up dovetails mainly, not heavy work.

I think I'll go a-car-booting (or perhaps just round the secondhand shops locally), and see what I can find.

Thanks everyone.

E.

Eric The Viking":s1sigzwq said:
phil.p":s1sigzwq said:

I was thinking on similar lines - perhaps slightly more, say 30deg, but 45 seems silly, not least because of the sideways force that would make it harder to control. I was also going to go for 1/4" or 3/8"(tops), as I want them for cleaning up dovetails mainly, not heavy work.

I think I'll go a-car-booting (or perhaps just round the secondhand shops locally), and see what I can find.

Thanks everyone.

E.

Don't forget the rule of bulk grinding; keep the edge as thick as possible as long as possible. Thin metal heats up very quickly.

BugBear

marcros":3l2201ua said:
it has been done before on here. Pete Maddox possibly, and if I recall correctly with aldi or lidl chisels. There may be more than one thread, the 2 variables may not be connected.

Pete Maddox? his name is very like mine :wink:

Mine is a very unusual spelling, I am the only Peter Maddex in the country!

Pete

Racers":3u8k57sx said:
marcros":3u8k57sx said:

Pete

I've done enough genealogy to know that most spellings are a matter of whoever/whenever first
wrote the name down, which is often quite late. But they often change quite a lot even after that.

BugBear

Racers":2fxaa8gl said:
marcros":2fxaa8gl said:

Pete

:oops: woops!

marcros":35gadjnx said:
Racers":35gadjnx said:
marcros":35gadjnx said:

Pete

:oops: woops!

Not a problem it happens a lot.

Pete

Eric The Viking":kjni2g94 said:
... what's to stop me getting an inexpensive bevel-edged chisel, either s/h or from somewhere like Lidl, and grinding a skew on the end ?

Exactly what I did with a couple of sets from Lidl

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":d4iiuu33 said:
Eric The Viking":d4iiuu33 said:
... what's to stop me getting an inexpensive bevel-edged chisel, either s/h or from somewhere like Lidl, and grinding a skew on the end ?
Exactly what I did with a couple of sets from Lidl

Great minds 'n'all!

I just need to watch for the offer now...

E.

Eric The Viking":3ir74637 said:
There has to be a catch I haven't spotted...

... what's to stop me getting an inexpensive bevel-edged chisel, either s/h or from somewhere like Lidl, and grinding a skew on the end (re-tempering if necessary)?

Instinct tells me there has to be a reason not to do this, but I'm not presently sure what that might be.

DIve in, but if I'm being stupid, please be gentle :)

E.

If you're thinking of lapped dovetails, you've got three options, really.

1) A fishtail chisel - grind from something like a 3/8" firmer, or buy new.

2) A pair of skews, left and right. Grind from cheap 1/4" firmers or b/e chisels - or buy new.

3) Use a small (1/8") b/e or firmer to clean out the last of the waste in the socket corners. You end up with a slight cut into the backwall of the socket, but that'll not show once the joint is assembled.

Option 3 is probably the cheapest (since you'll more than likely already have a 1/8" chisel), the other two are 'neater' - but is neatness really necessary in this case?

There are other uses for skew chisels, but not many. I won't bother repeating, since a thread giving details has already been linked to.

Back