SIP 01332 blade advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomGW

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a (new to me) SIP 01332 that still has its original blade and I'm trying to choose the most suitable replacement. The saw is approx 2 years old and was used solely to make one grandfather clock, so hasn't seen much use. It's complete with the two CI side extensions and the SIP wheel kit, so the only thing I need to do at this stage is get a better blade.
My main use will be veneered sheet material with some hardwood. I have been looking at a Freud "LP40M TCT Saw Blade for Cross Grain Cutting 250 x 30mm x 60T". Is this a good choice or should I be looking at something else? I understand that I will have to get a reducing ring from 30mm to 1" also.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as my previous saw was pretty basic and the blade was the least of my worries.

You'll get a number of suggestions for manufacturers as everyone tends to have their favourite. So for my two pennyworth; I have used Atkinson Walker Pro-Trade blades in my 01332 for a couple of years now and have four or five of them including an 80T one for cutting sheet materials, and been very pleased. Purchased via Workshop Heaven and with a very quick delivery. You specify the bore at time of purchase and the blade will come with any bushing required already. How anybody made a grandfather clock using the original blade is beyond me; mine had so much wobble it gave a kerf of around 6mm!

Tony Comber

no scoring blade get at least a 72 tooth negative rack will reduce blow out or a zero clearance insert made of wood to support the fibers.

buy a ripping blade and a fine blade for sheet stock and cross cuts. wash with goo off or warm soapy water to get rid of all the resin after a few cuts will make it last a bit longer before resharpening.

Thanks for all. I'll make the zero clearance insert a first priority project after I've rechecked the blade / slot alignment with the new blades.

For years I have used a 60T blade.

I even use it for ripping thin lengths when in the past doing those boxes with 10 to 12 mm thicknesses. Never come to any harm.

Over that thickness ripping you should be into 30 or 40T to be considered sensible.

Back