UKW boot/table sale Sept 7th, this Sunday!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you attend?

• To just buy

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • To sell + buy

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Attend for another reason

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Interested but wrong location

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • Not interested

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chrispy

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok I admit it I'm too lazy to get up at dawn to go to car boots, and photoing (is that a word) then posting on here and then arranging payments and sending stuff off is all a faff, and I have so much stuff to get rid of/find a loving home for that I would like to consider the idea of running my own car boot style event.

No idea when yet but hopefully later this year before the bad weather, the venue would be Wantage Oxfordshire

So question would anyone here be interested in coming to such to either sell or buy (or just kick tires) and meet other forumites?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited to bring all the info upto date.
----------------------------------------------
Well there does seem to be some interest already so to follow that up, as far as I'm concerned it seems that Sunday the 7th of September would be a good day to aim for, from 10am to about 2pm, unless that clashes with anything important that I've over looked! :roll:

I'll make a list of those coming here, where it's a bit easier to find:-
chrispy
fluffflinger
Higon
Jamesc +1
riclepp
gasman
merlin
Robbo3
+

Hi

A bit too much of a trek for me :(

Can't see that your idea would be the best way to shift your stuff - for max profit I guess flea bay is the best option - for maximum feel good I would have thought selling on here - for a quick disposal, take a pitch at a local boot sale.

I'm guessing your own boot / garage sale will not see much in the way of footfall

Regards Mick

I think that this is a good idea, perhaps it could be run on the lines of a bring and buy.

James

wizard":20zz1953 said:
I only buy things when the seller has not got a clue what they are worth, then i can sell them on ebay

Are you saying everyone here knows everything about everything? anyway might be a good chance to practice haggling.

I would come to buy, can't be bothered getting stuff together and setting up a stall. Like you say, its to much faff.

Chrispy":2hjc88u8 said:
wizard":2hjc88u8 said:
I only buy things when the seller has not got a clue what they are worth, then i can sell them on ebay

Are you saying everyone here knows everything about everything? anyway might be a good chance to practice haggling.

Wizard does not need haggling practice. :)

phil.p":2tyr3cdq said:
:lol: If I wanted to go anywhere, I wouldn't start from where Mick lives, either!

Yeah, but look at it this way - Oxfordshire (the OP's location) is about halfway between Redruth and Aberdeen, if you go the pretty route.

Yes, I think that anything like this is a no no. Unfortunately, too many people are too far away no matter where is chosen. Everything I've seen of interest here so far would have entailed a round trip of 5, 6, 7, 8 or nine hundred miles. :shock: :D

Chrispy":2o47ld6s said:
Ok I admit it I'm too lazy to get up at dawn to go to car boots, and photoing (is that a word) then posting on here and then arranging payments and sending stuff off is all a faff,
so you just want to make money without any effort

wizard":3sw5ge6o said:
Chrispy":3sw5ge6o said:
Ok I admit it I'm too lazy to get up at dawn to go to car boots, and photoing (is that a word) then posting on here and then arranging payments and sending stuff off is all a faff,

Hmm maybe that didn't come across very well, what I meant was more along the lines of:- Vice £10>15 bargin but add £10 postage and all of a sudden it's not, same with T bar cramps, old planes and chisels that need eying up to make sure they are what you want, and then fill the car up with timber & veneer offcuts.

I have boxes of castors. hinges, handles that I know I won't use, rolls of broken other wise new wide sander belts, buckets of nails, as well as old tools and timber, light fittings, plastic drain fittings that were once used for extraction, a cast iron planer knife grinding set up, it all needs to be seen to sell, and I'm sure others have the same to some degree, it all just needs to find the right home.

It's really not about me making a lot of money I just don't want to dump it and I know when I retire or gone that's what will happen, so I'd rather find good use for it now.

I think its a good idea Chris and I would come if I know in advance what might be there. I'm an hour away and would also bring stuff to sell. Also the chance to meet other forum folks is always welcome.

Just in case it helps anyone wavering... when Chris hosted the "Sharpening Event" in May last year, everyone who went had a great time just meeting fellow forum members, admiring a really well set-up workshop, and having a good long natter.

Count me in - I met Chris this morning and must say he has a great workshop with plenty of space. I'm not far away so that does help

Merlin

Chrispy":jvde13c0 said:
wizard":jvde13c0 said:
Chrispy":jvde13c0 said:

Hmm maybe that didn't come across very well.

It came across fine. It's just that Wizard can be a dick sometimes.

wizard":2qlwt5sv said:
Chrispy":2qlwt5sv said:

no worse than wanting good tools for next to nowt.

Back