Preserving old sleepers advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyb350z

Established Member
Reaction score
How do chaps !

So im redoing my drive and decking at the front of the house and have decided i want to box some old sleepers round my large trees, add some compost, shrubs and lights and make a feature of them.

I found a field full of old sleepers, however they look like they have been there for years throughout all weather conditions. Most are rottern and break apart when been handled, however i have managed to find a dozen or so that are quite strong, do have some rott but are still quitre sturdy, i love the old, rustic and weather look they have. I plan to use these round my trees.

My question is, i do plan to stain / colour these but is there any way of treating these so what life they do have can be extended, they obviously cant be used for anything structual, i will just be boxing them a 2-3 levels high round some of my large oak trees.

Any advice for solutions to preserve them as long as possible would be most appreciated, linseed, tung oil, engine oil, creosote, jack Daniels ?? lol

I wouldn't have thought you could do much to them other than soak any cut ends with a preservative - don't forget that by their nature preservatives are poisonous to plants, so be careful to keep them away from the soil. The cheapest option may well be as good as anything.

I was planning to use a plastic lining inside before using any soil in there, but thanks for the info, i was not aware of that, so maybe if i just use a end grain preserver on the cuts and them give them a wallop all over with creosote ? I would like to maybe try use something more clear, i love the colour, look they have now.

I think it has to be creosote substitute these days. Have read that old sleepers shouldn't be used where people will sit/play because there is very slight danger that creosote was used on them on the past (mild carcinogen). Not to mention it stains your clothes in hot weather.

Thanks for that Cwatters, again something i never knew. I see there are many clear wood trestments and preservatives available, i will be having a bit more of a read into their contents and safety before making a purchase, reviewed a few, some seem great, some seem terrible !

Old railway sleepers are usually pressure treated with creosote which is poisonous to just about all living creatures and plants and carcinogenous even in very small amounts. I would not want any of that stuff in my garden and preferably not anywhere on or near my land.

Just my oppinion.

Latest posts

Back