Old Mortising Machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnymcc

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a little information about an old machine my uncle has. He want to get rid of it, and is talking about scrapping it, though would like to see first if it is of any interest/value for historical or collection purposes. We would rather it went to a good home.

Its made by W.B Haigh, flatbelt driven, and was in working order when last used, been kept inside and seems to be plenty of oil/grease about it on the shafts etc. So i assume its in reasonable working condition. It has a chain mortiser and a square drill bit type (excuse my lack of knowledge of the proper terms, he's the joiner!).

I've tried to attach a photo below....

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• 20140614_152056.jpg
    20140614_152056.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 434
That is a beaut, don't scrap it, sion on the Canadian woodworking forum may be interested as it looks like it is belt driven. Could have been from a belt driven workshop and then later converted to an electric motor? Definitely not for the scrap heap.

Nathan

Yes it is belt driven. My Granddad had it rigged up to an overhead electric motor pulley system, so the tool itself isn't modified. That's a roll of drive belt on top of it. May be an issue getting it to Canada, its in Ireland!

Yes I'm hoping to relocate it somewhere. Is it old enough for a museum of some description? Are are they still relatively common?

Jonny

Don't let the scrap man get it. If I did not have a morticer I would be so tempted, heck I am so tempted anyway

jonnymcc":1i17v0f4 said:
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a little information about an old machine my uncle has. He want to get rid of it, and is talking about scrapping it, though would like to see first if it is of any interest/value for historical or collection purposes. We would rather it went to a good home.

Its made by W.B Haigh, flatbelt driven, and was in working order when last used, been kept inside and seems to be plenty of oil/grease about it on the shafts etc. So i assume its in reasonable working condition. It has a chain mortiser and a square drill bit type (excuse my lack of knowledge of the proper terms, he's the joiner!).

I can offer nothing useful.

But I feel compelled to say - THAT IS MAGNIFICENT!

Edit; I've found something useful.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/de ... 3030&tab=6

BugBear

Sion Dovey lives in Wales. He is also active on this forum I think. His business is called Dovey Woodcutters or something like that.

That looks like a very good mortiser. Way better than any of the hobby-grade mortisers sold today. After a few upgrades it would be good enough for any small scale professional shop.

DON'T SCRAP IT

Johnny, I am VERY interested in old machines, just like Wallace and Jack613. I'd very much like to pursue this further, as I live in Belfast and could come see it soon. PLEASE don't consider scrapping it; I'll PM you later this evening when I'm not in work.

Sam

I'm not sure about autofeed, I'd need to have another study at it. It does look fairly solid of itself, but most of that old machinery does.

Sam, got your PM, but cant reply. Away for a few days but will drop you a text when I get back.

Don't panic everyone, I have a lot of mechanical sentimentality myself, and now that I know that it is of interest I'll make sure it doesn't go to the scrap and hopefully goes to a good home!

Here a Pic from another angle..

Attachments

• 20140614_152142.jpg
    20140614_152142.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 199
  • 20140614_152123.jpg
    20140614_152123.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 199
bugbear":39dq3ejc said:
jonnymcc":39dq3ejc said:
Hi All,

BugBear

Yea, found that link mtself, no mention of the mortiser though. Did find this : http://www.google.com/patents/US987065

Jonny

jonnymcc":2xwepiic said:
bugbear":2xwepiic said:
jonnymcc":2xwepiic said:
Hi All,

BugBear

Yea, found that link mtself, no mention of the mortiser though. Did find this : http://www.google.com/patents/US987065

Jonny

I see Oliver on the patent

Interesting, kind of looks like WB Haigh may have worked for Oliver before starting to manufacture himself.......

jonnymcc":1qm7qhs1 said:
Interesting, kind of looks like WB Haigh may have worked for Oliver before starting to manufacture himself.......

More than likely the other way around as Oliver was looking around England pattern shops for ideas when they were starting out. Haigh on the hand had been around the for some time before Oliver.

Fantastic piece of kit. What sort of saw chain does it use? Presumably as it pre-dates most chain saws, it was one specially made for the machine?

I've just returned from a quick tour of Craigavon and a more leisurely shuftie at Jonny's uncle's machine. .......

IT'S A WEE STUNNER!! :) :)

It's about 4'x4'x4'...dual head, in the sense of chain mortiser one side, conventional chisel mortiser the other. It is eminently palletable, possibly light enough for two, to three, steroid-enhanced blokes to lift AND COMES WITH APPROX 20 HOLLOW CHISELS: all sizes.

Now, the bad news... :shock: ...it is belt driven - as in overhead belt driven, as in line shaft belt driven...as in each mortiser has an independent drive pulley and 'idler' pulley on the drive for the mortiser. This means, it is beyond my skills to convert it and I simply have not got the room to mothball it for posterity. BUT, IT'S A WEE STUNNER!

The mechanisms all work as they should. The table traverse was a bit obstinate ;its lubrication had ossified with sawdust and general grime, so a modicum of frute borse was needed to free it from comfortable repose....once running back and forth, not a jot of play!!!

I suggested to Jonny that it was palletable and he agreed to cajole his uncle to have it placed on one should more interest arise from 'across the shough'..... Mark (Wallace) are you reading this?

The wee gem is boggone (filthy in non Norn Iron speak) but it is simply robust throughout, strong, ribbed castings, whopping iron fulcrum levers and the chains (2?) and chisels (20?) make this a really good challenger to the Sagars, Multicos and Wadkins we see on Ebay and sometimes here. If anybody has a notion of how to run the former belt driven pulleys via a motor, this one is a Wee Beauty - oh, look, forgot the capitals....

Sam

Hello Every one
We also have a very old Mortising Machine not so old as the ones shown here though, I have fitted a new electric motor and bought some more chisels for it and it works a treat , the only thing that is missing now are some decent balancing weights , at the moment it has some blocks of steel that we have scrounged and where as they work fine and do the job they do not look all that wonderful and do not give the very nice old machine with mostly cast iron table and vice , all very accurate , real justice.
What is the best way of making her look smart again ????? We have thought of casting some lead to suit but it looks a bit of a hairy job, Any good advice would be very welcome. Hoping to hear from you. desmo11225 PS I think the weights were pinched to get some money for the scrap.

Mod edit: Hi, please start a new thread. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back