Football

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically very poor. Uruguay put them under a bit of pressure and they collapsed. Midfield and attack was poor, the defence was absolutely shocking. I've seen better defenders in the 4 th division!

It's got to the stage where its just embarrassing now. We should seriously consider whether it's even worth entering next time...just laughable when you consider how much they're paid vs the population of Uruguay.

I can honestly say I have never watched a whole game of soccer, either live or televised. I have seen bits, but I'm just not interested. I think the level of skill and the stamina of the players is amazing, as it is in tennis (Wimbledon coming up). Each to his or her own, and I appreciate that they give an awful lot of pleasure to many people, but not to me. I don't watch tennis either, guess I'm just not a sports nut. I do enjoy watching the rugby internationals though, and the occasional game of snooker but that's about it. As for cricket, olympics etc, well, not for me. And I have to agree that the payments made to some of these sporting superstars are scandalous.

K

I stopped following league football a long time ago but the Internationals always kept me coming back. We used to make a party of it.....friends would come round, beer, pizza etc and it was great fun. But now, the whole thing has become entirely hopeless and you don't want to invite people round because of the risk of you all getting so depressed within 30 seconds of kick off. We've pretty much hit rock bottom as a player now on the International stage. After this tournament I may draw the curtains on even the England games. Life's just too short.

It has always amazed me that despite levels of obsession that, for any other topic, would merit psychiatric assessment; despite the unreasonable importance given to it in schools; we are still so rubbish at football that most city teams need to import competent players.

What a waste of time and energy it is.

I've never been a football fan but I watched the two England matches to see what all the fuss was about. We didn't seem to have any player who was able to read the games. If you look at other sportsmen who consistently win - like Mark Cavendish in cycling or Jonny Wilkinson in rugby - they seem to be able to read what is going on and act accordingly. Our footballers just seem to run about aimlessly not knowing what to do. Maybe the football authorities ought to introduce payment by results........ :-k

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Re the vast amount of money some players are paid, I wouldn't be bothered if it all came from paying fans. But a proportion, possibly most, of it comes from sponsorship, TV companies and advertising. So if you have a TV licence, buy branded products, use a mobile phone, buy from supermarkets etc, you're paying for their wages even if you never watch football!

Latest posts

Back