Dust extraction accessories

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halo Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
I have finally put some money and real thought into dx in the workshop. Mainly because my son turns 6 next week and I promised him time with me and he will even be getting a small handtool collection for his birthday (maybe more in another thread).

Anyhoo. I now have a 2nd hand rebadged CamVac386 and pretty pleased with it now I have washed the cloth and replaced the paper filters. I have some 100 mm hose for bandsaw and tablesaw and planer/thicknesser. What is driving me mad is hooking up the hand tools: sander, router, multi-tool and biscuit jointer. My old wickes hoover 32mm hose attachment fits perfectly into each of these. I wanted some 50 mm hose for the CamVac but cannot find any hose attachments that will then fit the power tools.

Why is this so difficult? Am I making it difficult for myself? Any help much appreciated ](*,)

H.

I would consider that the Camvac is really best for the bigger machines and chips with some dust capture SO I would still use the vacuum with 32mm fitting to capture dust from sanders/routers etc etc.

You will find plenty of adaptors in various places but if you want to take the situation into your own hands you can do what I've done many times.

Take a piece of pipe (this works with anything, soil pipe waste pipe, 63 mm drain pipe etc). Build a v shaped cradle for the band saw and cut long thin v shaped sections out of the pipe. It's not that difficult to calculate what needs to be removed and mark the pipe accordingly (I usually go for three v shaped cuts, that six as you will cut top and bottom as you feed into the bandsaw on the cradle). Then place the pipe you want to join to in the end of the segemented pipe and wrap the cut section of the pipe to close up the cuts and create a section at the end that grips the pipe perfectly. Duct tape is fine. A heat gun will make the sections form more easily.

The beauty of this system is you get a smooth transition which is better that the commercially available stepped adaptors and you can tranistion any size to any size.

Sounds like you need to make one from a piece of 100mm plastic ducting to reduce from your 100mm hose your vacuum hose.

The trick is to make the v cuts a reasonable length as they come together better, the bigger the transition the longer the cut. If you want to make it more permanent then buy some heat shrink tubing and pop that over the duct taped section. I have done that with some smaller sections and will get around to doing it to my 100mm to 63mm transitions.

After you have done one it really isn't that difficult.

I agree with using the the vacuum for the smaller stuff like sanders etc but with one caveat. You mention you have a Wickes Vac Hose if you have the vacuum too then get some Henry Hoover Hepa Filter Bags carefully remove the plastic fitting so you can slip the material over the inlet (inside the vacuum) and secure it with a cable tie, it will save you having to clean the filter every three minutes when sanding. I did this before I got a Dust Deputy Cyclone and I still do to protect the filter from the fines, can sand for hours and the filter doesn't even discolour and I am getting cleaner air out of the exhaust.

If you are struggling I'll take some photos over the weekend.

My solution to this common problem is to use a stretchy car cv boot. The large end fits over the 100mm hose and the small end will stretch to fit over multiple sizes of other hoses and outlets. You may need more than 1 so you can cut down to to enlarge the small end cover the full range of applications at the smaller end.

As promised some images of my solution to the eternal problem of inconsistant outlets to tools and changing diameter of pipe. These are a bit gash but I am sure you get the idea, if not ask and I'll expand.

The pipe I used for this demo was 68mm down pipe but it works well with waste pipe, soil pipe whatever you have to hand.

straight taper.jpg

tapered to constant diameter.jpg

tapered then flared sleeve.jpg

the end result just wrapped with electrical tape, use heat shrink tubing for the neatest finish.jpg

this is what you can achieve with a heat gun, round to rectangle for inlet into cyclone.jpg

the end result.jpg

Hope this was of some use.

and from the end.jpg

Attachments

• straight taper.jpg
    straight taper.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 277
  • tapered to constant diameter.jpg
    tapered to constant diameter.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 277
  • tapered then flared sleeve.jpg
    tapered then flared sleeve.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 277
  • the end result just wrapped with electrical tape, use heat shrink tubing for the neatest finish.jpg
    the end result just wrapped with electrical tape, use heat shrink tubing for the neatest finish.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 277
  • this is what you can achieve with a heat gun, round to rectangle for inlet into cyclone.jpg
    this is what you can achieve with a heat gun, round to rectangle for inlet into cyclone.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 281
  • and from the end.jpg
    and from the end.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 276
  • finally how to make a stepped collar, very useful for making all your tool outlets consistent ...jpg
    finally how to make a stepped collar, very useful for making all your tool outlets consistent ...jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 200
  • the end result.jpg
    the end result.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 277
Thanks Richard. Your technique looks like it could be adapted to a number of situations. I guess I am just surprised that it is all such a hodge-podge. There should be no need for me to make my own fittings. You would think there would be some kind of standardised fittings that would make this all easy. I mean what do professional companies do where I assume dust control would form part of their H&S concerns? Is the only solution to go festool?

Maybe I have found a gap in the market :-$ £££!

H.

Your right they are all different but an afternoon spent standardising all your tools is well spent.

I built up all my small tool inserts with pvc waste pipe and put a gentle taper on the outside layer to accept the fitting of my vac hose. That was sanders, routers etc.

I then just made up what I needed for the bigger machines 100mm down to 68mm for my Bandsaw etc.

One thing I failed to mention was when making up stepped transitions it's best to cut the pipe to length on the chop saw and then remove the portion to create the inner sleeve on the bandsaw. This ensures the base of the pipe as you feed it into the bandsaw the cuts are vertical. When working with soil pipe a heat gun is really useful but if it's cut to the right size just pull it apart and it will click into place.

Bit of trial and error and you'll be done in no time I'm sure and it will save you about £1000 in gaffer tape!!!

Back