Early block plane or just an odd thumb plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_P

Established Member
Reaction score
Just bought this odd thing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301210387878? ... 1497.l2649

oddblock.jpg

Any ideas ?

Attachments

• oddblock.jpg
    oddblock.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,340
Mr_P":182sovmv said:
COLLECTOR, how very dare you.

It's research, honest guvnor.

yippeeeee finally found an Irish Chariot for a sensible price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171339595473? ... 1497.l2649

Honestly its research, castings to complete then I'm planning on the Karl Holtey 11-SA High Angle Infill Smoother with no adjuster. When that's done its Chariot time

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Infill-Plane- ... 2590405b08

;) yes your right sorry.
Nice tho, I would of like it myself :)

How faires the build mate, Ive started my plane build tho I'm tackling woodies first, not krenov or Barron style but traditional style like Philly.

Cheers
TT

I stand to be corrected, but I think the 'block plane' we are now very familiar with is a relatively recent addition to the tool arsenal, in the UK at least. Wells and Hooper in the 3rd edition of 'Modern Cabinet Work' (pub. 1927) do not mention the block plane in their list of suggested tools for a cabinetmaker - but they do list a 'Chariot Plane'. They do mention the block plane in the glossary, as a plane used with a mitre block, and also (interestingly) with a shooting board.

I suspect their popularity may have grown in North America some time before they became generally accepted in the UK, especially given the relative popularity of infill mitre planes and chariot planes in the 19th and early 20th century on this side of the pond.

Sorry camera flat, will be back tomorrow with evidence.

Cheshire
My 1908 tyzack catalogue has ten block planes and only one preston chariot
My 1935 kennedys has 5 record block planes and no chariot.

bugbear

I agree probably a replacement but it is common (maybe not this long/bad, but common)

http://www.norrisplanes.com/norris-numb ... umb-plane/

Toby

DON'TMENTION THE WAR I mean castings aaaggghhhh, I will not be beaten.

Sorry wooden ones just don't do it for me, maybe I'd try again if I ever bought some timber larger than 9"x3"

I was going to round up all my serious offenders and shoot them (with my camera) but decided to wait until the new one arrives. In the mean time I will tease you with this rusty wip.

rusty wip.JPG

Now that's a long iron, doesn't look that bad due to the wedge but could also be a replacement. Maybe the majority of chariots were sold as castings and left to the end user to finish ?

19th century catalogues are out of my league and I only have this Preston chariot in my 1908 Tyzack catalogue.

tyzack 1908 pc.JPG

They did sell Norris Infill planes but no chariot or thumb plane listed.

Plenty of block planes though (from the same catalogue)

tyzack 1908.JPG

According to blood n gore the Stanley block plane 9 1/2 started in 1873, 220 in 1898 and the 60 1/2 in 1902.

Attachments

• rusty wip.JPG
    rusty wip.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 1,105
  • tyzack 1908 pc.JPG
    tyzack 1908 pc.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 1,105
  • tyzack 1908.JPG
    tyzack 1908.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 1,105
Very nice but why ?

Sorry my motto is if aint broke don't fix it.

Mr_P":2syix8u0 said:
Very nice but why ?

Sorry my motto is if aint broke don't fix it.

I see your point.
A few reasons really:
1,want to practise making wedges
2,this is ugly
3,other tools are hawthorn that I have
4,this one isn't original anyways
5,don't like the shape, want a Cupid's bow

:)
TT

"According to blood n gore the Stanley block plane 9 1/2 started in 1873, 220 in 1898 and the 60 1/2 in 1902."

Ah - maybe I was 'sort of' right. In plane terms, those dates are quite late, especially as they'd take a year or two to cross the pond.

Toby
1, Fair enough and its a good size to start with.
2, Eye of the beholder
3, cough ocd cough
4, How do you know ?
5, Fair enough and as you say not original and plus even if it was it's yours to do with as you please.

Cheshire,
Hard to comment without seeing the first two editions, they were here in force in London in 1908 so by 1927 ?

Record planes started in the early 30's and both Spiers and Mathieson had a crack at the Stanley no.4

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=79612&view=previous

Just speculating but maybe it wasn't the original Stanley planes that killed the infill business but the expiry of the Stanley patents that increased competition, drove prices down and that killed the infill trade.

Maybe this a job for taths ?

Afternoon Carl,
Sorry taken so long to get back,

A friend we have in comment suggested it wasn't original as it's far to big. Either way it's being replaced (but kept) :)
I'm using hawthorn as I have loads of it stored in the shed (a tree I felled myself)
I've so far made two hammer handles, both front and rear infill for a plane, wooden hammer, marking knife handle, and infilled a perfect pattern screwdriver with the stuff would be a shame to change wood now.
Hawthorn and laburnum are up there for me as my fave woods.

Looking forwards to your next instalment of your wip

Thanks
TT

Back