eBay planes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not me but someone did well to spot it!

I don't know a maker's name but that pierced decoration is distinctive and attractive. I think that could be a valuable plane, if restored well, eg by someone following any of Jimi's worked examples.

Why don't I spot these?

:D It was me

I always thought it was me that missed the good deals, usually a 'collection only' nowhere near where I live.
The planes have been dispatched already so I'm looking forward to receiving them soon.

I had a qick google about it, the heart and shield cutouts in the cap iron are fairly distinctive and found a few similar ones.

http://www.infill-planes.com/64/scottis ... ny-infill/

An old thread on UKWorkshop came up too that I can't find now. I think it was Jimi that said it would probably have been bought in kit form, and the user added the infills.

It's the first infill I've got so will need some advice on how to restore it well, Andy. Time to read through some of Jimi's old threads. Afraid I don't have corro dip so it'll be elbow grease instead. Might need plaently of it judging by the pics.

James

Cracking bit of sleuthing there James! Amazing price for a very nice Scottish infill with the "heart" pattern lever cap.

The one I restored was on THIS THREAD

BEFORE

DSC_2826.JPG

AFTER

DSCN1070.JPG

I simply love these basket cases because nobody can have a go at you for mucking up the "originality" of the tool.

I hope this thread will assist you somewhat but if you need any tips then feel free to post the questions. I shall be watching your restoration with interest.

Amazing discovery there mate....hidden behind the little Whitworth!

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Jimi

Well that's better! Welcome along; you are in the right place to get detailed practical advice. Depending on what your skill/ experience level is - you could do worse than learn on the 'ordinary' planes first - they look rough at first, but are probably all restorable.

One of my first pleasant experiences of that was going from this

IMG_0038.jpg

to this

IMG_0070.jpg

which is probably all that five of your planes need.

You will take pictures and put them on here, won't you? Please? :D

I was one or two bids behind you in that case James, I nearly had them!

At least we'll all get to see how it turns out?

Harry

Some great advice in those older threads, I'll be sitting down later to have a good read through. Some beautiful planes too. Jimi-you really have a knack for the aesthetics, you're planes always look superb.
Hopefully this one will turn out well too, it's hard to tell from the pics, the mouth looks chipped at the back and very wide. Was good to read comments in Mr P's thread that it shouldn't be a problem. It will obviously, be a user and not otherwise.

I have restored quite a few of the Bailey type, most of my planes have been bought as basket cases. I usually start with a wire brush in an electric drill, but think that might be too aggressive for this plane.
Andy, my last purchase was a Stanley SW 3 of the same era. (20's/30's, i thought?) The only plane I've paid 'full price' for. It had already been restored.

Better luck next time Harry, there's always another round the corner. Might turn out to be junk yet!

James

Thank you Andy. The renaissance wax looks very interesting,think I'll have to go shopping for some. The Micromesh sounds to be decent stuff too. I have a lifetimes supply of good quality wet and dry so will start with that and see how it's coming along.
Photos to follow.
James

Personally I would leave wire brushes for car repairs and the only rust removal wire brushes I use are copper or brass ones. They are soft enough not to affect the patina too much.

I would leave that patina on it as I did with the one I restored. I think that it would look really strange polished to "as new" condition.

But it's your call as I always say...it belongs to you and it's hardly every going to be collectible by the "original condition" purists.

Jimi

Back