When is a thread old?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskywill

Established Member
Reaction score
A recent poster was asked not to re-open a thread that was 8 months old. Why not and when does a thread become regarded as "old"? Surely as soon as a thread is not replied to for a few days it becomes old.

Hi

Surely it's better to re-open an old thread:

It demonstrates that the poster has taken the time to actively look for the information rather than just ask.

It saves responders having to duplicate information already posted.

The thread gets augmented with new information rather than new information being located in another thread with no cross reference.

Regards Mick

As long as its not in the for sale section its a cracking idea.

Its shows someone has a bit of gumption and has tried to tackle the problem themselves.

The only old threads I don't like are the ones with dead pictures, grrrrr they make me mad.

whiskywill":1t7hsmp1 said:
A recent poster was asked not to re-open a thread that was 8 months old. Why not...
Spindle":1t7hsmp1 said:
Surely it's better to re-open an old thread:

The thread gets augmented with new information rather than new information being located in another thread with no cross reference..
I agree. Better to keep stuff together, rather than scattered.

Mr_P":1t7hsmp1 said:
The only old threads I don't like are the ones with dead pictures...
:( Agreed

I posted on a thread some two years ago. Recently there's been some progress. I'd been considering resurrecting the old thread to update it - not sure that I should now. A new thread seems pointless as it doesn't have the background info.

bugbear":1t7hsmp1 said:
20 TPI x #12 ?
Eh? :? Without looking it up, I think that's the thread for Stanley plane handles (a bit obtuse) - okay, old thread, I get it.... (hammer)

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":3dg6g42p said:
I posted on a thread some two years ago. Recently there's been some progress. I'd been considering resurrecting the old thread to update it - not sure that I should now. A new thread seems pointless as it doesn't have the background info.

Think the best option is to provide a link to the previous relevant thread.

Back