Yet more advice needed for projects... sorry.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tset Tsyung

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've only joined over the weekend and this is already my third post - sorry to barrage you all with questions like this.

Anyway, for one of my upcoming project my wife would like me to make a large "chopping board" that can be placed over our sink and draining board, and then stored next to the fridge when not in use.

Originally I was looking at Bamboo, but it's hard to find a board the right size (900mm x 450mm) ESPECIALLY at a low price. So I was wondering what other boards can I use for these dimensions? Would Oak be any good? How about Beech? I know pine would be too soft...

Also what would the best finish be? Obviously I don't want anything that's going to flavour or poison the foods prepared on it, but I do want some increased longevity with it...

Thanks guys 'n' girls.

Ikea do a big chopping board http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30087148/ £8 you couldn't buy the wood for that! you could use two.

One problem you will get is warping, the sink will be much wetter than the other side which will lead to it cupping if you leave it on for any length of time.

Pete

If you want to make one then beech is the preferred wood for kitchen use. There are many food safe oils you can use. Personally I finish any of my kitchen stuff with Chestnut foodsafe oil. Many people use olive oil but there are reports of that going rancid over time. I must confess, I use Extra virgin olive oil in cooking all the time and it frequently gets all over my chopping board (which is beech) and I've never known any rancidity myself.

Hi

Are you sure that you want to cover your sink with the chopping board - in my experience both are in use at the same time, covering the sink would be an inconvenience.

If you decide to go ahead with your plan then beech is a good choice but at 900mm long it will need support in the middle to prevent sagging with time.

Regards Mick

Beech is ok, you don't use it for outside so why do people use it for chopping boards. Oak is good, keep the widths to a max of 120, then join the boards using biscuits, waterproof glue (duh), i used cherry and its amazing, it can be left in the sink wet for days and its still straight as a di 2 years later. American black walnut is good to. Liberon do special chopping board oil but if you look on most oils they are natural. Osmo is a good oil for all purposes.

Back