Good as new......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
We bought a teak set of garden furniture 8 years ago. And this 'summer' i've decided to restore it back to new.

Here's some pics....

Chair before starting....

Chair after sanding, with the next one as a comparator...

same chair but now with a coat of teak oil.... and the next seat to show the remarkable difference....

Just 3 more chairs and a table to go... :shock:

Nick

Steve Maskery":1jpfqoe3 said:
Have you tried pressure washing them instead of sanding? It a lot quicker and does a good job.
S
TOP TIP ! SWMBO has a teak 'peanut bench' that could really do with sprucing up, but sanding between all the 'slats' seemed like far too much work. I'm going to give that a go for some brownie points :wink:

'peanut' bench...? is that the same as a banana bench..? i.e. a curved bench..?

To be honest i have heard some reports telling you not to pressure wash your wooden furniture..... but cant remember why tho. Maybe its to do with the pressure lifting the grain on the wood then having to sand smooth again.

Sanding the years of grubby was fairly easy..... 180 grit on a random orbit jobby.

In between slats i (eventually) found the easiest method was a hand file followed by a cursory rub with some 'spent' 180 grit.

Still a dusty job tho..... but well worth the effort.... (hammer)

Nick

I pressure wash my teak patio furniture every spring, followed by the patio. Give it a couple of days to dry and then teak oil it. I did used to sand it but it takes forever (8 chairs, ruddy great table and a swing seat)

Hmm, I can't imagine why not. It's hardly likely to raise the grain if the stuff has been sitting out in all weathers for years, is it. But if you find out, let me know, always willing to learn and all that stuff.
S

NikNak":3q8wdghc said:
'peanut' bench...? is that the same as a banana bench..? i.e. a curved bench..?
Nick

Yeah, it was described as a peanut bench when I bought it for her, doesn't look like a peanut though. Might start calling it 'Simon' instead, cause it doesn't look like one of those either. Or maybe it will when it's cleaned?

Nice job, Mr Nak.

I found an even easier way - ignore it until SWMBO gets fed up of nagging - and does it herself!! =D>

If I have to do it, I'll try the pressure wash technique, too, but when she's out, so thinks I'm amazing :wink:

Steve Maskery":29s0s04o said:
Hmm, I can't imagine why not. It's hardly likely to raise the grain if the stuff has been sitting out in all weathers for years, is it. But if you find out, let me know, always willing to learn and all that stuff.
S

IIRC Osmo do a wood cleaner gel which you brush on and scrub off. It would be dust free so you would not have to worry about the risk of inhaling the dust.

Back