Best V TOOL for relief carving / what is the other tool ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indy Jones

Reaction score
hello , what is the best v tool for relief carving , i recently watched a video were this " homer dangler " is using a V Tool for outlining his relief carvings or leafs and scrolls and that is basically exactly what i wish to do , but it doesnt explain the make or specific angle of the tool . since there are 60 , 45 and even 35 degree versions of this tool and from 2mm to 10mm i am not sure which one to go for , from the best i can tell i think that he is using a 45 degree.

i also need to know what size and make , i was thinking that he is using at least an 8mm

i want to buy a good one that will last but i can not buy more than 2.

also he uses a tool to scrape away upto his outline, but i dont uderstand how that tool is not cutting down into the wood ?? , i know its a slice cut i think is the term ,but that is all.

i cant link the video but its called , homer dangler carving a kentucky rifle. on utube

i hope you can help

thank you for any help

it looks like a large 45 degree v tool. This is a sweep 41 using the London numbering system, or is it Sheffield. One of them anyway.

i would have a look at ashley iles. I will warn you though that carving tools are not cheap.

http://www.ashleyiles.co.uk/Catalogue.pdf

there are many ways to achieve similar results, and different carvers use different methods.

hello TT , what make size and condition and price please i am interested.

do you know what tools that homer guy is using and do you have them ? also do you have any slip stones for v tools ?

Indy Jones":2ms91f1m said:
hello TT , what make size and condition and price please i am interested.

do you know what tools that homer guy is using and do you have them ? also do you have any slip stones for v tools ?

You should be warned that 'V' are notoriously difficult to sharpen well.

I've also never seen that technique he's using - I've seen 'V' tools used to outline stuff
many times, but he's using a super-high angle of attack, with the 'V' carved at a forward angle (on the body) so
the open side of the 'V' are nearly parallel with the timber; he's then using "punched" mallet
blows to keep the cuts tiny.

I'll try to find and post a video of more common 'V' tool usage.

In the meantime, I'd recommend getting a few general carving books out of your neaerest
library - Chris Pye is wideley recommended.

BugBear

bugbear":1blh6itv said:
You should be warned that 'V' are notoriously difficult to sharpen well.

BugBear

Bordering on ridiculously so. I sent mine to Ashley Iles to be reground which cost a few quid, but I was getting nowhere trying to do it. Honing them once done isnt too bad.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uz7jce6ofzrey ... .25.56.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1ayjqavo1tve ... .25.19.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxy0ib7lik1g1 ... .25.09.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqk1nw1kq97jd ... .23.46.jpg

The vee chisels are both by "addis" w&p s.j addis and both marked 39. One smaller one needs to be completely reground. The bigger one is sound, the other random v is a home made job but works very well.

I have a mallet I've made somewhere your more than welcome to it but I would sujest buying a new one.

I also dont have any slip stones for sale just yet. I may give carving another go.

.post a few more comment as you need 5 for private messages. And we can talk business privately thanks

All my chisels are by addis (various addisis) herring bros, marples, frost ect

TT

thank you , for your replies .

are any of you v tools 45 degree ones TT ?

. bug bear thank you for your insight , i am set on learning Homers method , i am aware that v tools are difficult to sharpen but i will learn.
i have seen a few bits by chris pye

There is a comprehensive guide on sharpening them online somewhere- a PDF if I remember rightly. Worth looking for.

Indy Jones":346508q9 said:
thank you , for your replies .

are any of you v tools 45 degree ones TT ?

. bug bear thank you for your insight , i am set on learning Homers method , i am aware that v tools are difficult to sharpen but i will learn.
i have seen a few bits by chris pye

They are all 45
Thanks.
TT

well only one of those pictures works for me , showing a box full of tools , i only really need one or two for ther job i definitely am ok for hatchets though. but message me prices and sizes of the V tools please

Indy Jones":3ea01w97 said:
well only one of those pictures works for me , showing a box full of tools , i only really need one or two for ther job i definitely am ok for hatchets though. but message me prices and sizes of the V tools please

Not sure how to measure a v tool. Addis no 39 both of them. Pm me and I'll send a link with photos
Thanks
TT

The trick to sharpening V Tools is to treat them as two flat chisels connected at the bottom by a tiny gouge. All three surfaces are treated as you would if they were on an individual tool.

You sometimes see them with a big spike at the bottom where people have neglected to sharpen the gouge. Aim to have all three bevels about the same length. There's no need for slip stones, just wipe the channel out with a bit of leather to clean off the burr.

Back