Aldi woodworking tools back : router/etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homerjh

Established Member
Reaction score
as per the yearly cycle, aldi has the tools in again, router/etc.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... -5th-june/

now as i researched last time about these, this is my mini review of them..

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... r-table-1/

Apparently it is rubbish! not accurate, and from other reviews, the aldi router doesn't fit it without modification to the table! However it has feather boards, and IIRC a NVR and guides which are useful for a homebrew router table and cheaper than buying the equivalent fixtures separately. I will hold out on this but if i see one in the sale section will probably pick one up for the bits. I would love this to work for the price, but it just doesn't :(

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... 0w-router/

I have one and for the price cannot be beat! speed control works well, plunges very smoothly, lighter and smaller than other 'cheap' types and just works. For £25 it is almost a throwaway price and far less than any other cheap ones in major DIY stores. I have not used it in anger or daily, but for the occasional roundover or flush cutting, cant be beat. Also the base has a removable plate and can be table mounted. I don't know if the holes will match with any generic table mounts, but if you dont have a router then this is well worth a look. the locking nut that holds the plunge did stick once on mine, but fixed it without much bother. it is a 1/4" shank as well and a number of different collets, assume 1.4" and then some other odd sizes..

Just buy it if you dont have a router, and if you do then buy it anyway so one can be table mounted and one freehand...

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... bit-set-1/

Not bought these, but dont know how good they will be for cutting kitchen tabletops, especially at 1/4"

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... er-bits-1/

I have 2 packs of these. 1 at £6.99, and 1 at sale price a couple of months or so after. mine are in a wooden box, these appear to be in a metal case hense the £3 more!. They seem to work well, i have used the roundover, flush trim and one of the flat ones to thin an area of wood. They seem to work ok, they turn and shape wood... and for 83p each worth a look if only to experiment. at the sale price (£3.49) i paid, they were 29 p each, but just luck if you catch them in the sale, they did have a few there, but depends what they sell.

I will probably get a belt clamp https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... elt-clamp/ when they are there for £5 also just as it is cheap.

So aldi stuff is normally in the average-good quality, but the price point is very good. If you were thinking about getting a router, try one of these, and get a bit set as well, and for £35 you will have a bit of kit that is invaluable for finishing off edges, and if you only use it once, far better than paying £100+!

People are quick to criticise cheap cutters, but it depends on what you want them for. I bought a small set for one tiny cutter that was only need for a foot run. Job done, fine. Why pay more for that type of use? I had to do a ninety six metre run of 1/2" radius groove - I didn't expect a two quid cutter to do it.
Their cheap plug cutters had just as well be made of lead, though. (I had something else that was the same price - can't remember what it was - but it was rubbish as well)

The chisel set was favourably reviewed (by Paul Sellers IIRC). I bought one for £8 last year and they're really not bad at all for general every day use. I now give them a tickle on the pro edge and hone them and they're sharp as a razor.

I might get the sheet sander - I mean, how bad can it be - it's hardly a precision tool and since it will have to be covered by a 12 month warranty by law (some argue 2 years depending on how you interpret EU legislation) I know I will get 12 months use or an endless stream of them until I do. For me, if it's precise (a cutting tool) I spend a few bob and get (at the minimum) Bosch Green Series or better if I can afford it - but if it's a roughing tool like a sander, grinder or even arguably a jig saw, then I save money since it makes little difference to me.

I just bought an SIP biscuit jointer and boy do I have buyers remorse - just pure shoddy and not fit for purpose.

I have to agree with the OP about the router table. I bought one when I didn't know any better and it is rubbish. The sides of the table are not coplanar with the main part and the way the router attaches is very fiddly. Also the router I got with it doesn't seem to have any easy way of removing the plunge springs, so it's very difficult to set the height when mounted in the table as you have to fight with the springs. I ended up modifying the table and adding a home made lift.

My router is not quite the same as the one on offer next week, but it's ok although the spindle lock mechanism (a button you press on the side of the spindle housing) has broken so I can't tighten the collet sufficiently any more.

All that being said, the router table might be worth buying just to harvest the NVR switch and feather boards for a DIY table.

Fergal

Homerjh":18gfuvi7 said:
I will probably get a belt clamp https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... elt-clamp/ when they are there for £5 also just as it is cheap.

I wouldn't buy that belt clamp, for less than a tenner you can get a proper one: http://www.axminster.co.uk/stanley-band-clamp-4-5m
I have two of these that I use all the time, I find them much more convenient than using sash clamps. You can wind them up till the strap pings like a guitar string and they never slip, I'd be surprised if the Aldi ones are anywhere near as good.

Just checked, the router is different to mine, the speed is in a different place, but even so, probably pretty much the same...

And ta re zthe clamp, will take a look...

we got the router table last time it was up, it seems fairly good. Had to be altered to fit our router but no issues other than that.

The belt clamp we got last time is ok too, unfortunately it's broken at the moment but not in a major way, just the belt/fabric part has come loose and i haven#t been able to work out how to get it back through the *brain freeze moment* erm, clampy bit? I seem to be failing with words today :p

The router cutters seem to generally be ok too. In fact most aldi consumables seem ok, sometimes they reqyire a sharpen before use but meh not a massive deal really.

If anyone local to me is planning to go on Thursday, could they be kind enough to pick me up a couple of the 4m band clamps please? I'm going to be on site in the middle of nowhere in Worcestershire early doors Thursday :(

MMUK":1szopmkk said:
If anyone local to me is planning to go on Thursday, could they be kind enough to pick me up a couple of the 4m band clamps please? I'm going to be on site in the middle of nowhere in Worcestershire early doors Thursday :(
Toolstation do the same clamps for £5.75 more expensive but if your buying 2 it's free P&P, that is if no near you can help you out.

Baldhead

Baldhead":3hxw82s9 said:
MMUK":3hxw82s9 said:
Toolstation do the same clamps for £5.75 more expensive but if your buying 2 it's free P&P, that is if no near you can help you out.

Baldhead

Oooh! I'm popping T/S in Great Bridge on the way to site in the morning. Cheers for that.

Yesterday I picked up the router (my first of any kind) the F clamp set, the large ratchet clamps, the belt clamp, some router bits and the pencils. I can safely say I am astounded with the quality of the router and the clamps for the money. I had no expectations of something so workable for such a small sum. I generally don't buy precision tools at the cheap and cheerful end of the market but as I didn't have a router and wanted something to experiment with I thought it would be worth the gamble at £25 and I have I say it has been. The clamps as well are really robustly made. Well worth buying if you have the chance IMHO.

memzey":1jgtvc2q said:
Yesterday I picked up the router (my first of any kind) the F clamp set, the large ratchet clamps, the belt clamp, some router bits and the pencils. I can safely say I am astounded with the quality of the router and the clamps for the money. I had no expectations of something so workable for such a small sum. I generally don't buy precision tools at the cheap and cheerful end of the market but as I didn't have a router and wanted something to experiment with I thought it would be worth the gamble at £25 and I have I say it has been. The clamps as well are really robustly made. Well worth buying if you have the chance IMHO.

Good man Memzey. I agree, that router is so cheap that even if it lasts for 6 months it almost owes you nothing as long as it cuts well enough. I confess to eyeballing the chippy pencils + sharpener with greed yesterday. Only when I realised I already have 2 packs did common sense finally overcome the insane desire to purchase more tools....my preciousssssssssssssssss :)

On the flip side, I found the router to be awful. Couldn't fit the bit straight. Wouldn't cut straight. Seriously, save your £25 for something else. There are some bargains to be had at Aldi, but the router ain't one of them in my humble opinion.

Also I found that the gaffer tape wasn't very good tape, it just didn't stick well. If you want decent tape, Canford are the place to go.

http://www.canford.co.uk/ADHESIVE-TAPES

Never used Aldi tools myself, but No. One Son tells me his voltmeter (Multi-type) was from Aldi. Cost him £8.00 about three years ago. It's the best one he's ever had. And in a heavy-goods maintenance shop, tools get a hammering one way or another.

In case anyone is in the market for a multi-meter
John

Ok - was passing an Aldi this morning and popped in as needed some coffee for the workshop and whilst in there picked up a packet of the £9.99 for a set of 12 1/4" shanked router cutters.

The verdict - well they are not Wealden quality but have got to say they are actually rather good! The trial cuts I did with the ogee and round over cutters were crisp and clean - even if they don't last too long at less than £1 per cutter who can complain.

Not bad for a tenner!

You pays yer money ...

Nothing wrong with Aldi gear for the dough...
It ain't high end, but then that ain't what any sane man is gonna use it for...

Comparing it to pro-spec stuff is like measuring a snail against a cheetah; you're gonna get laughed off stage.

Back