another what wood..sorry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
i collected a load of freebies today
a whole flatbed lorry load

was a bit disappointing to be honest...at first
about 30 ash boards 9' x 12" x 1"

these are useless as have tar on one side :(

about 10 boards 14' x 12" x 3".....redwood \ lightweight \ unknown

about 10 boards 14' x 12" x 3"....I think are oak, so are a result

more oddments

but i was then given some boards that were covering a garage pit

this excited me the most as were black and heavy although only about 4' x 2' x 2"
i cut one open and thought i would clean it up .....failed...i don't have a plane sharp enough to scratch it
it cut off the bandsaw with a shine
it has an orange glow
picture not the best but here goes
orange1.jpg

orange2.jpg

any ideas please?

Steve

Attachments

• orange1.jpg
    orange1.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 177
  • orange2.jpg
    orange2.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 177
Hi
My guess would be GREENHEART.
Very dense, blunts tools.
Large lumps used as beach groynes.
Cheers John

should have said

the original home owner had a a sawmill albeit over 100 years ago, when he built the house

so i guess , and is just a guess that is a uk timber

Steve

Woodmonkey":5viif0xy said:
Looks like yew with that bit of pale sapwood
so what do i use it for :)

i cant plane it , i cant chisel it
i will stuff the off cut on the lathe and see if that works
i have someone that wants a pen
does this help ?
photo (40).JPG

Steve

Attachments

• photo (40).JPG
    photo (40).JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 151
Yew shouldn't be so hard to plane, maybe it's just because the grain looks all over the place

Woodmonkey":2o6uwm4e said:
Yew shouldn't be so hard to plane, maybe it's just because the grain looks all over the place
this is rock hard to be honest
cant scratch with my nail
comes polished off saw...if u know what i mean

Steve

Hi

Pretty sure it's not yew - it looks more like elm to me, does it have a farm yard type smell when freshly cut?

Elm grain is often very interlocking which can make it difficult to plane or turn, though with sharp tools it's fine.

One of my favourite woods :)

Regards Mick

I find wood that has been sat around for many years much harder to id. It can completely alter the colour. That oak I've been posting various turnery from that came down in the 1987 Hurricane is a near coffee brown, lovely. Compared to regular oak that's recently felled they look like completely different species. The grain is of course helpful but the colour really has significant variation depending on age, oxidation, fungal attack etc. It's another of the things I like about wood, the immense variability.

Your piece certainly has a lot of the characteristics of Yew but what it doesn't have is the numerous small knot marks which are characteristic of Yew and coniferous in general. The multi branching nature of the family leaves clues. The orange and cream sapwood are right out of the Yew textbook. A difficult one to nail for sure. (no pun intended)

Hi

When you consider the application the wood was removed from it is less likely to be yew - as for the colour, I suspect petrol, diesel, coolant, brake fluid etc. could have all played their part.

Regards Mick

Back