A first Planer/Thicknesser up to £250

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterthegardener

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to process about 100m of sawn oak into PAR to make edgings and framings for the project boat I am refitting. I have a limited budget for woodworking tools and I would like to get a P/T for no more than £250 if possible. I have looked at the Woodstar PT85 which fits this budget as a new tool but I know that folks here often recommend going for heavier 2nd hand tools. Apart from the fact that there are quite a limited number of suitably priced machines on eBay I also wondered whether the lack of chip extraction on some older machines such as the Kity and Dewalt should be an argument against them. Any suggestions welcome.

After seeing what a load of rough sawn oak did to a mates dewalt P/T I would seriously consider paying someone 250 quid to do it for me (if such a person could be found that is)

Iirc, the Woodstar uses a universal motor which are incredibly loud.
After 100m your ears will be bleeding.
For your budget, you might be able to find a decent second hand machine on the bay depending what size you need.
I would be dubious about the on-board extraction.
If you are thinking of planing to its capacity, I very much doubt it would keep up with the volume of chips produced.

What sizes were you looking to plane?

The sections I will be planing for this project are mostly less than 2" wide, I just fancied being able to do a little hobby furniture making in the future. The are a couple of DeWalt machines on eBay at the moment, a DW50 and a DW1150, are these the sort of machine that would be quieter that I should look at? Or there is an older Kity 636 as well.
What features in particular should I look for in an older machine?
Thanks for your help

If it's only narrow stuff, I would recommend going for a smaller, higher quality machine.

Induction motor, cast iron table, cast iron fence(but not essential), sturdy build, easy sharpenable blades or easy to find replaceable blades.

The older machines tend to have all of the above.
At £250, you're sort of on the edge of the price range for a better machine.

Is that Alcester near Stratford upon Avon? If so, there is a company (Canaan Carbides) just behind Evesham train station who sharpen for very little money. A great service.

It's a bit of a tricky one.
If this is the only project you will need it for, it might seem silly spending more on it.
Having said that, the older machines tend to hold their value quite well so you would get most if not all of your money back when you sell it.

I'm sure there will be someone along soon with more expertise than me to shed more light and info on it.

Both the DeWalt DW50 & Kity 636 would be fine for your task at hand, and probably better machines than anything new for that sort of price.

However, you will NEED a chip extractor. If you've not used a PT before you'll be astonished by the volume of waste generated and if not extracted quickly it compromises the finish quality.

£250 really is pushing the budget for both. As other have said this sort of kit hold it's value well though.

JustBen":252nmpgy said:
.....If so, there is a company (Canaan Carbides) just behind Evesham train station who sharpen for very little money. A great service.

Blimey! That name brings back memories. They've been going for years !

Or if Worcester is more on your route then Stephens Saws in Claines are also good.

Back