Karcher Pressure Washer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the exception of a few 'industrial' internal combustion powered washers with on-board reservoirs I've only ever seen hose fed washers. I've got a Bosch that I bought a few years back after my 3rd Karcher croaked its last; I like the Bosch but I'd never buy another 'tall' washer again - I can't tell you the number of times it's toppled over when I've tugged the hose a bit. I don't know if maybe my previous Karchers had suffered from water starvation but one thing that I found was upgrading my hose to 3/4" transformed my pressure washer - from good, to something that can do serious damage! I also bought an adaptor that let me use the Bosch with the Karcher accessories.

On the subject of damage, the last couple of years I've used 'Patio Magic' followed up a month or so later with a much lighter pressure wash where required. I then used Patio Magic again to slow the re-colonisation of green; the Patio Magic seems to work better than brick acid for stopping regrowth.

Edited to remove 'splash it all over' as per the safety notice that Roger's reproduced below.

As I understand it, hose-fed means you need the washer connected to a tap; meaning you couldn't use it if there is a hose-pipe ban ?

With a reservoir, I understood that you fill the reservoir with a mix of water and detergent/degreaser, and plugged the thing into a socket, so the pump discharges the mixture, without need to be connected to a water supply.

Sounds as if I am thick I know, but I am absolutely ignorant of these gizmos; other than I think I could operate one with recourse to a manual :mrgreen:

Correct on the hose-pipe ban restrictions

My Bosch (and previous Karcher) does have a small (~1 litre) dispenser reservoir that you fill with detergent/whatever - this is mixed into the pressure washer lance when you slide the lance control to a low pressure feed.

I don't know the flow rate on mine, but it would need a chuffing great reservoir tank to keep up with it.

The Karcher K2 linked below has a flow rate of 360 litres per hour
http://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/Pr ... sp?ID=7689
The same site also produces handy little guide:
http://www.cleanstore.co.uk/pdf/Cleanst ... ashing.pdf

No link to the store, never used them, but the information seems sound - except maybe for the picture of the chap trying to pressure wash his roof, that looks like a sure-fire recipe for a wet attic.

Edit: I believe you can find some models that will use a suction feed from water butts etc., I'm guessing they must have extra filters to strain out surprised tadpoles & newts

Some karcher washers ,not sure which ones but probably the most expensive have a hose that you can place into a drum/barrel of water so they can be operated away from a mains/tap supply.

Never done it, but I think they'll run off a water butt - goes to check - yep, here:-

http://www.karcher.co.uk/uk/Service/FAQ ... ashers.htm

Can the unit pick up water from a water butt?

Yes. All Kärcher Pressure Washers can run off a water butt when connected to a tap at the base.
Furthermore, any Kärcher Pressure Washer from our K3 – K7 series can draw water from a static source, such as a water butt, when using a suction hose and filter.

As mentioned above, it'll need to be a pretty big butt (oo-er) to keep up ;)

HTH Pete

Before you use Patio Magic you may like to take note of this from their Data Sheet......
The product is very toxic to aquatic organisms.
The product is dangerous for the environment. Prevent
leakage into the drainage system by diking with sand or other
absorbent material. In the event of large spills contact the
emergency services and local authorities

RogerP":2tlpg309 said:
Before you use Patio Magic you may like to make a note of this from their Data Sheet......
The product is very toxic to aquatic organisms.
The product is dangerous for the environment. Prevent
leakage into the drainage system by diking with sand or other
absorbent material. In the event of large spills contact the
emergency services and local authorities

Sound advice - I use it from a Hozelock garden sprayer and am careful to avoid overspray, also I don't use it near the 'wildlife'* end of the garden.

*Abandoned

At the moment then it looks like I will have to get an outside, hose-tap fitted. Didn't really want that expense, especially as I don't have much use for a hose. I am not psychotic about watering my lawns for instance; if they burn in hot weather, they soon green up again after a couple of showers. :)

I normally clean/rinse the car down with a watering can, but that was when I could stoop, lean, clamber and generally get about without groaning! :lol:

Thanks Ben. I have some adapters, but my taps are not really suitable. Nothing exotic about the taps, but the slightest pressure, and the fitting slips off. Hence my thinking about a proper exterior tap.

I have used my Karcher washer quite successfully from a water butt. As long as you can keep the outlet from the water butt higher than the inlet on the Karcher it will gravity feed.

Vic

Benchwayze":v627j42a said:
Thanks Ben. I have some adapters, but my taps are not really suitable. Nothing exotic about the taps, but the slightest pressure, and the fitting slips off. Hence my thinking about a proper exterior tap.

Depending on the location of your kitchen in regards to your garden, you could always add a spur and tap inside the sink unit.
It would cost a lot less, be out of sight but may be a pain for regular use.
Just an idea.

My main supply stop-tap is in the garage, so that's where I'd have the hose-tap fitted. I would need to buy another hose to reach the rear garden, but that would be cheaper than a second tap in the Utility room. I think! :lol:

If you are looking at Karcher consider getting the additional patio cleaner head. Had mine about 2 months the patio cleaner head is just brilliant, far better and quicker than the normal lance for patios, flags etc.

Brian

If you do get one don't forget to run it for a short time on a regular basis. Most pressure washers fail in a very short space of time if they are not used on a regular basis.

Latest posts

Back