Latest W.I.P and rain stopped play

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stimpi

Established Member
Reaction score
It’s raining so my outside project is on hold which means I can plan the next project.

I have two projects on the go at present, a re-cycling station and an under stair storage fill in.

Due to the high winds and prolonged rainfall this year it has been a chore in searching for the plastic re-cycling boxes they as become blown about the village due to the inclement weather. Even if the boxes are not blown around they have been filling up with rain water making some of the contents useless for re-cycling.

This is not a mind bending structure, or state of the art joinery, just a required woodwork item of simple garden construction, using of course, re-cycled timber from skips. The structure hides the wheelie bin, 2 No plastic boxes and 2No bags for glass and cardboard. A bench seat is also included for in the design.

The space designated for a re-cycling station'

20140321_112717.jpg

I commenced by building simple frames, there size govern by the objects they are hiding.

20140411_095107.jpg

The basic frame work in place

20140402_135902.jpg

As+far+as+gone.jpg

Lid lifted

the+boxes.jpg

My new grease box came in handy for that piano hinge to the seat
a+bit+of+grease.jpg

And to the back rest

20140416_145507.jpg

Rain stops play
20140420_140005.jpg

Hi

Very functional - just hope your local council stick with their recycling methods longer than ours in Scotland do, after only about four years the black boxes are being replaced by a blue lidded bin and a kitchen scraps bin.

Regards Mick

will you need to pull the bin out every time you want to put in some garden waste?

Not really its on wheels and pulls out easily, what goes in is the plastic bags from the kitchen bin (the white ones) which then go into a black bin bag inside the wheelie about 2ce a week. There is a separate small bin for food waste so no smell. Being near the coast we are troubled with seagulls so we have to double bag. It’s the smell that attracts them double bagging solves this.

Our council is not bad recycling and the village generally is up for it

The+Wheelie.jpg

This is a fair weather project and advantage has been taken with the recent spring weather. But, we have had some periods of rain. The lull in external work is taken up with the planning for the under stair storage, not for me but in the top flat in a six storey block with no lift. Planning a project can take as long as doing the actual work, especially when it has to be broken down in to handy sections for lugging up 5 flights of stairs plus I have to convince the client what is proposed is the right solution and it is cost effective.

Event 1. I need a drawing to put my ideas on to paper and work out the materials required.

Event 2. A second drawing in sketch up as not everyone can interpolate CAD drawing. (this is what I am doing today)

Event 3. ``work out a cost

Progress as of today

The existing Stairs and hall.
Existing.png

The proposal

Proposed.png

The first utility drawer

first+drawer.png

Second drawer as a bookcase.
Cabinets.second+drawer+png.png

Third and fourth has pull out bins

All+the+Cabinets.png

Hi Stimpi,

I've been browsing this forum for about a year now, and have only just registered because of your next project.

I'm currently in the progress of doing pretty much the same thing under my stairs at the moment. I'm very novice at carpentry, having never actually made anything worthwhile!

I'm planning on making the drawers from 18mm MDF, and painting white. I've purchased the drawer slides, and plan on starting properly next weekend.

I will be watching this closely to gain as much as I possibly can,

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Sharpie best of luck with your project and welcome to the wonderful world of wood. The purpose of these drawings is to inspire my client in going down this path but if I don't convince him I will be going down the traditional route

Back