Heads up - XT700 chuck for £59 incl delivery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Orbital Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
The Rutlands 15% off and no delivery charge sale has already been mentioned in an earlier thread. So yesterday I bought one of those xt700 chucks that normally retail for about £70. (The ones that are always on offer).

With the additional offer discount and no shipping I got a brand new, known quality spare chuck for £59. I think that's worth mentioning because that offer is pretty unbeatable but you need to order quick as its an Easter only promotion. Just type EASTER in the promo box at the checkout.

They take the supanova jaws by the way but beware the cole jaws as the screws are too long apparently and would need modifying.

I'm nothing to do with Rutlands by the way and generally don't particularly like them but this offer is an exception. I'm seriously toying with buying another cos I hate changing jaw sets mid project.

Yep

For me it's a no brainer - three chucks for less than the price of one in particular.

Regards Mick

Grahamshed":3airr5sg said:
Morning Bob.
Am I reading it wrongly or does it only come with a 1inch thread ?

Hi Gray

Its directly threaded 1" but you get (without asking) a 3/4" 16tpi insert also. So out the box it can be used with many popular lathes. For other brands I think you need to specify which insert converts it to your spindle.

Grahamshed":kn9fp64b said:
No good for my 33 x 3.5 then.
In the past I've been put off by both the cost of 4 jaw Precision Scroll Chucks and the fact that I've never seen one with a 1-1/8 x 12 mounting thread.

At this price I've just ordered one and am in the process of designing the adapter which will simply push it out 18mm from my headstock.

Thanks to Bob for the heads up.

JG

Grahamshed":2s95aqpc said:
No good for my 33 x 3.5 then.

Hi

The Fox 4000 chuck is, I'm sure, exactly the same chuck but comes with a 33 x 3.5 direct thread option - it's a shame Rutlands don't offer this option any more.

Regards Mick

J-G":1gizkryh said:
I've never seen one with a 1-1/8 x 12 mounting thread.
The Versachuck from Toolpost has a backing plate for that thread http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Chucks_ ... chuck.html
More expensive in the first place than the Rutlands chuck, but a key advantage of the Versachuck is that if you ever change lathes you just buy a new (ISO standard) back plate and continue to use it with all the accessories you may have bought or made for it.

Rhossydd":1q8i84pf said:
J-G":1q8i84pf said:
I've never seen one with a 1-1/8 x 12 mounting thread.
The Versachuck from Toolpost has a backing plate for that thread http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Chucks_ ... chuck.html
More expensive in the first place than the Rutlands chuck, but a key advantage of the Versachuck is that if you ever change lathes you just buy a new (ISO standard) back plate and continue to use it with all the accessories you may have bought or made for it.
I certainly missed that - even looking just now I was about to post a disagreement :oops:

Looking at the VersaChuck, by the time you've added all the 'necessary' extras and 5 sets of jaws, the cost rises to something like £220. :(

After some further research I'm going to call Rutlands at 8:30 on Tuesday (hoping that they haven't had staff in on Monday dealing with orders) to change my order to the XT 650 KIT in the hope that they will honour the EASTER discount which should mean that I'll get it for £96. I'm not concerned at the smaller chuck OD (70 rather than 90) nor the case but I think the extra 4 sets of jaws are well worth the £37.

I'm also quite capable of making any new thread adapter - not that I think that will ever be necessary!

JG

J-G":2u600uqd said:
Looking at the VersaChuck, by the time you've added all the 'necessary' extras and 5 sets of jaws, the cost rises to something like £220.
Choosing jaws from other suppliers like Axminster can bring the costs down. You don't need to buy it all in one go. I prefer the big 100mm chuck for stability myself, YMMV.
I'm also quite capable of making any new thread adapter
Not necessarily an optimal solution if you buy a lathe with a larger diameter spindle.

Thanks for the heads up ,have just ordered one, havent even got a lathe yet but this looks like a great deal so told swmbo that i needed to get this before the lathe to see if it would fit :twisted:

henton49er":11dnwq2b said:
Well, that's a pity. My lathe is 1 1/2" by 6 tpi, so not of any use to me. Do they do (or can I get) a chuck excert (if that's how you spell it), for my spindle size?
I don't think so ( but could be wrong ) I think that is part of the reason they are selling so cheap.

J-G":2079vxlb said:
After some further research I'm going to call Rutlands at 8:30 on Tuesday (hoping that they haven't had staff in on Monday dealing with orders) to change my order to the XT 650 KIT in the hope that they will honour the EASTER discount which should mean that I'll get it for £96.JG
Spoke to a very affable young lady as soon as they opened the phone lines.
She cancelled my original order and made a PayPal refund without batting an eye-lid. Then took my new order - only down-side was that she couldn't give me the 'web-order over £100' discount so the final price was £101 rather than £96 - I still consider it an excellent purchase which could only have been bettered if I'd used my usual buying edict . . . research twice - buy once :)

Can't fault the service from Rutlands - I'll take free delivery tomorrow - and their 'EASTER' discount applies until midnight tonight so there's still time to bag a bargain.

JG

Ordered one of these on Monday knowing that Rutlands would be on holiday. Received an email yesterday that it had been dispatched via Parcel Force and giving a tracking number. With free delivery I expected that it would be 48 hour at best but when I looked up the Parcel Force site I discovered it was 24 hour delivery and it arrived at lunch time today. Great Service and a great looking chuck. Thank you for the information about it.

Back