Where / how to dry wood ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering where the best place is to dry branch / trunk wood logs ? Inside ?, outside ? under a lean to etc ?

Grahamshed":3b55yhok said:
Just wondering where the best place is to dry branch / trunk wood logs ? Inside ?, outside ? under a lean to etc ?

An often asked question but always promotes certain problems?

Basically, all that is required is:
(1) Sealed ends. (Possibly split large (your discretion) logs down the pith)
(2) Ventilation (More important than dry)
(3) Out of the sun.
(4) Raised off the ground (Only an inch is enough)
(5) Keep dry (Although my logs are outside and get damp they do dry, eventually, depends on how quickly you want to use them!)

If you have the timber planked then dry, under cover, shielded from sun and water and in sticks (Keeps the planks apart for air circulation)

Best not to try drying indoors unless it is cool, possibly even cold, but preferably a constant temperature.

The MOST difficult part of all is PATIENCE!

No doubt others with more experience than myself will have additional pieces?

Regards, Peter.

I've just had two trunks planked, some oak and some douglas fir. I put the douglas fir in the workshop, stickered up, had to move it as not sufficient ventilation and it started to go furry, especially on the paler new wood with higher moisture content. I put the oak in the barn with plenty of ventilation and no problems. So would concur, ventilation is key, plenty of air movement, lots of drafts. Keep it stickered so air can get around it.

I have a load up in the garage roof-space, and under the work bench. I seal the ends as soon as I get it home, usually with wax, but often with paint. I tend to leave it for about a year, then start processing into smaller bits like rough turned bowls etc. then storing away with wet shavings in paper bags or wrapped in newspaper - weighed & dated. I have a few dry locations for storing these. Once the weight has stopped changing, I unwrap them and move them to a cabinet with a description and date until I decide to finish it.
Spalted birch bowl top 640.JPG

This birch was felled in 2012 after the high winds and rough turned in September last year. The ends were painted with old gloss paint and it was left up in the roof for about 14 months before rough turning. TBH it may have been a bit too dry, because the end grain tearout was horrible. I had to re-sharpen my gouge regularly. It has just had a quick polish with shellac.
You will inevitably lose some to splitting, which is one of the hazards of free wood. If you simply can't wait, turn it green, as thin as possible and see what happens when it dries. If you plan to make boxes, or any other lidded vessel, better buy the wood.

Attachments

• Spalted birch bowl top 640.JPG
    Spalted birch bowl top 640.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 1,091
So, under a roof or somesuch to keep rain and sun off but otherwise open to the elements and a good airflow. Hmmm.

Grahamshed":1qvtaz63 said:
So, under a roof or somesuch to keep rain and sun off but otherwise open to the elements and a good airflow. Hmmm.

If it is of any help, initially I didn't have anywhere to store my timber as described.

I made do witth plastic dustbins with holes drilled throught the sides lightly draped with Black plastic.

It was not very successful since it limited the sizes of timber I could store but it was a useful stop-gap!

Regards, Peter.

This is how i store my boards big or small i stack them and then put the on a shelf for the small stuff and the big ones are on a 10 foot pallet with a tarp placed on the top but not on the sides

2014-03-04+11.45.08.jpg

DSCF7285.JPG

petercharlesfagg":1fgg00hj said:
Grahamshed":1fgg00hj said:

An often asked question but always promotes certain problems?

Basically, all that is required is:
(1) Sealed ends. (Possibly split large (your discretion) logs down the pith)
(2) Ventilation (More important than dry)
(3) Out of the sun.
(4) Raised off the ground (Only an inch is enough)
(5) Keep dry (Although my logs are outside and get damp they do dry, eventually, depends on how quickly you want to use them!)

If you have the timber planked then dry, under cover, shielded from sun and water and in sticks (Keeps the planks apart for air circulation)

Best not to try drying indoors unless it is cool, possibly even cold, but preferably a constant temperature.

The MOST difficult part of all is PATIENCE!

No doubt others with more experience than myself will have additional pieces?

Regards, Peter.

Plus 1

Why not make a lean to type shed from pallets do not fill in the gaps between the slates. Make sure you add a slanting roof with water proof material either felt or tarp.. That way the slates will stop most of the rain coming in through the sides but still allows plenty of air flow. You could always hide it by planting a climbing plant which will also help keeping the rain out and still allow air to pass through

Dalboy":2vgsdvf3 said:
Plus 1

Why not make a lean to type shed from pallets do not fill in the gaps between the slates. Make sure you add a slanting roof with water proof material either felt or tarp.. That way the slates will stop most of the rain coming in through the sides but still allows plenty of air flow. You could always hide it by planting a climbing plant which will also help keeping the rain out and still allow air to pass through

Yup - exactly what I do - mostly because I am completely and utterly unable to say no to ANY free wood, so any pallets become 'wood stores' in moments through judicious use of a few screws with a cordless drill, or failing that, a paslode nail gun.

I'm sure when I finally get back to the lathe I'll find some will be knackered due to poor storage, but with lots stored, the missus has to be allowed a little for the woodburner - nothing's too much for my little princess :lol:

Back