Hand Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul24dual

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase my first hand plane and looking for advise.

No.4 or No.5

any makes?

Second hand or new?

Thanks
Paul

Either a 4 or 5 is an ideal first plane. The 5 would be better if you want to do joinery work but the 4s are much commoner.

Buy an old Record or Stanley, sharpen the blade and start.

For video advice, have a look at Paul Sellers' blog. Also have a look at many similar threads on here.

i have For sale 3 planes
Stanley no 3
Record no 4
Woden no 5
£45.00 all three
Postage £15.00 ups
Payment paypal as a gift

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 1,296
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 1,296
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 1,296
Paul
I have been fortunate enough to pick up good quality, older planes (no 5's, 6's, 7's and 10's) on ebay for a pittance, but most often they have been bought locally (still on ebay mind) as part of a job lot. This inevitably provides me with a few good quality chisels and marking out tools to boot. I would be looking to pick up a no 5 to start with, as already advised, and would want to spend a £5. Then a quick play about on youtube to learn how to tune it up will yield benefits. You should know how to make your planes work so you are able to maintain them in GWO.
Its a buyers market - I am sure you could get a good no 5 for under a tenner if you look.

Good luck

Caz

Your second and third links could be ok but that's a cracking good deal from Wizard. I have bought from him on eBay and he's a regular on here, so known to be straight dealing.

Woden were also a good make in their day.

Snap them up quick!!

paul24dual":3sjjrjqd said:
Thanks for the offer, looks really good...I'm really only after one plane to have a play with and to learn from!!

Yes but having only one plane is as inconvenient as only having one pair of socks!

paul24dual":2ldcdi7d said:
Thanks for the offer, looks really good...I'm really only after one plane to have a play with and to learn from!!

at that price someone will grab them if you don't...nice set there

Steve

Are there any tooly bootsales near Melton Mowbray? (cough, David Stanley auction , cough) .... It's not all rare and expensive stuff, you can find plenty of common planes there.

Personally, I would recommend that a plane - tenderfoot get a #5, put a camber on the iron and get some instant satisfaction rather than getting straight into the big learning curve of all things 'smoother'. Darn useful thing too a #5, earlier the better, avoid cracks and you can't go far wrong.

I wouldn't bother with any of the new planes on offer. Good quality 2nd hand are really good value.
Record are good - they have a zero before the Stanley equivalent number so you need to search for Record 04 or 05. Both very handy sizes.
I agree with Richard above; if you are new to it I would avoid 99% of the advice around about fettling and improving. Especially avoid advice about new blades, flattening and mirror finishes. These are almost always a waste of time and you could make it worse rather than better. Just stick to setting and sharpening.

Actually I would recommend a 5 1/2 if you only have one plane because it is that little bit heavier so has more momentum and a lot of planing is about momentum.

Chris

Hi

If the planes are still available i would like to purchase

by way of introduction I've been intrested in woodworking for some time , done a few DIY builds and looking at this forum inspires me to attempt more. Leaning towards the (potentially flawed) I can do that persuasion, just got to keep reminding myself of little acorns.........!
Sorry if its wrong place to post just didn't feel right jumping in without saying a few words

regards
Pete

Back