Planer-Thicknesser machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexam

Bandsaw Boxmaker
Reaction score
Can anyone please point me in the direction of these machine manufacturers (ideally sub £300) that are worth considering. (Possibly Triton? but have no knowledge of these machines)

Just hobby use and not too much, but want to reduce thickneses for scrollsaw working and would like 10-12" width

Thanks

Alex

Alex you will struggle to get a PT that planes 10-12 inches wide for your budget. New benchtop models in that price range normally do 6x4 inches or there abouts.

I think the old electra bekhum hc260 might be about that sort of price or the similar kity/ dewalts etc

Alexam":2lnn21k8 said:
Thanks Carl. The Triton actually does 12" and is under £300. Will have a look at te Yandles show on Friday.

Alex
Ahhh that sounds like just a thicknesser, just googled it and yes it is just a thicknesser. I thought you was after a combined planer/ thicknesser from the title :oops:

I have checked again and Triton 583534 planer/Thicknesser 317mm. TPT125 is the one I was referring to. It's under £300. Where does it say it's just a Thicknesser? It is a combined one I am after.

Alex

Despite the nomenclature used this is a thicknesser only NOT a planer/thicknesser.

From page 8 of the manual (very poor but just about clear enough) ...
If necessary, process one side with a jointer or surface planer first to obtain at least one flat surface before using the planer

... anyway one glance and it's obvious. :)

Alexam":2y6iwucc said:
I have checked again and Triton 583534 planer/Thicknesser 317mm. TPT125 is the one I was referring to. It's under £300. Where does it say it's just a Thicknesser? It is a combined one I am after.

Alex
If Triton is sold in the usa? They will be covering their bases. As what we in the uk call a thicknesser, the americans call a planer. We have ( surface) planers , jointers in the usa. I'm not sure if australia uses the usa terms or ours.

RogerP":1xbg1f1j said:
Despite the nomenclature used this is a thicknesser only NOT a planer/thicknesser.

From page 8 of the manual (very poor but just about clear enough) ...
If necessary, process one side with a jointer or surface planer first to obtain at least one flat surface before using the planer

... anyway one glance and it's obvious. :)
Only if you know machinery ;)

Alex these are what you should be looking for as you want a planer/ thicknesser.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat ... _PrefLoc=1

You will just need to keep searching and one will come up for your budget. :)

Thanks Carl, I just do not know machinery and took the wording as being correct, not 'misrepresentative', which I am sure will fool a lot of people. Should not be allowed under trade description's act.

Thanks for the link, but I'm still rather thick about this.

Alex

I have 2 separate machines Alex.
This

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... 0mm-planer

A planer/ surface planer (uk) / jointer ( usa)
And this
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... hicknesser
Just a thicknesser

So i pass the timbers over the first one to get 2 straight/ squares edges and then use the 2nd to have parallel sides to the ones i just planed.

A planer / thicknesser combines the 2 together into one machine.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... hicknesser

Which is the type you want.

Which you do what i do above but with one machine.

You could get a bench top model but the capacities will be limited

Ahhha try this, i'm not recommending it - it is for reference. More research would be required. :)

But a P/T 10'' x 5'' for your budget.

http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/cop ... n____.html

Thanks Guys,

I am beginning to understand a little more now, having just read a few items detailing the two machines and their uses. Should have done that before, but I thought a car was a car! Think I now need to see something working and the show at Yandles should be the ideal place if I dont see something else first.

I hadn't realised that a thicknesser needed the edge and one face to be flat first. Good links Carl, much appreciated.

Alex

You should consider a second hand old machine; there is no way a new machine can be built for a few hundred pounds and be good quality, where as a few hundred pounds will buy a high quality machine, have a look on eBay.

Thanks wizard,
I have been looking, but a lot of the good old machines are rather large and I am limited for space in my garage.

Ideally need a benchtop model, or one that I can put on wheels that has a reasonable footprint.

Will keep looking.

Alex

Or there is a kity too on the for sale thread- either of which would serve you well.

Thanks guys, I did see those two adverts, but decided to hang on for a while as I am considering upgrading to a larger bandsaw. Although a Thicknesser and planner combination would be good, I am limited on space.

I appreciate your help though. It's nice that so many members are around for guidance.

Alex

Back