sorby planes / marples planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurcher

Established Member
Reaction score
hi lads i noticed on ebay that a chap who sells alot of planes says that sorby and marples were from the same casting
i have a full set of marples 3 to no7 all in very good condition so today i took a 4.1/2 and put it side by side with a record 4.1/2 the marples does have a thicker casting and is slightly different in places
would love to no if you have any info
pete

I SORBY and Mr Punch logo - John Sorby was appointed Master Cutler of Sheffield in 1806. Later the company became John Sorby & Sons. After his retirement his sons John and Henry took over and the name changed to I & H Sorby. The mark was acquired by Lockwood Brothers in 1847.

To confuse the issue I Sorby was a trademark used by C & J Turner, latterly Joseph Turner and Company, who succeeded the earlier Sorby and Turner, in about 1801 or shortly thereafter. It is not certain if it was the same John Sorby, or his nephew, John, that went into the shortlived partnership with Turner. Whatever, the I Sorby (and Mr Punch) trademark survived well into the 20th century as in 1909 William Marples & Sons purchased the remaining interest in Turner Naylor and Company, and thus acquired the stock and goodwill of I Sorby.

In 1932 they also acquired through Turner, Naylor and Co the stock and goodwill of John Sorby and Co, and the tradename, I & H Sorby, and their Sheep trademark.

From

http://billhooks.co.uk/edge-tool-making ... ol-makers/

Back