Plasterboard fixings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite possibly the worst thing you could get for fixings!
I suggest you go in any outlet B&Q, Wickes etc and get the fischer(or copies) fixings that look like a very course thread.
I use them frequently, but forget the name, they come in either aluminium or plastic, have a "spade" drill bit end,
just mark and drill with the b.o.screwdriver.
One thing, on some dry lining, the dabs are 9mm, or less, these things, sometimes, will hit the masonry behind.
I suggest you mark and drill, then, snap, or cut the drill/spade end off and screw the fixing in place, as I do.
Obviously the plastic ones are cheaper, but just as good and easier to cut off.
These fixings are all but flush when fixed, and have an excellent weight carrying capacity, like big radiators etc, read the packet. Does what it says on the packet!
HTH Regards Rodders

So that's a no then Rodders ? :)

I already have some of the type you describe but didn't think they'd be good enough to hang a telly from, but you reckon you can hang a big radiator ? I know how much they weigh now and its much more than a modern telly

Thanks for the tip about the tips

Any plasterboard fixing , of these types, is only good for a "sheer" fixing situation.
A small TV should be ok, read the fixings packet, for the weight capabilities.
The fixing type you enquired about as you can imagine can easily break away, if you look at its construction and use.
Had you mentioned a large T V fixed to a plasterboard partition wall, I would suggest a "backing" board, prettied up with the router, and fixed stud to stud, but not on a dry lined wall, which should have "solid ground" behind the fixing.
Regards Rodders

Hi Rodders

I was asking in general, just to see if anyone had tried these but didn't have a particular job in mind - I mentioned tv as you mentioned hanging a big radiator implying good weight bearing (obviously depending on condition of plasterboard)

It just so happens that we want to hang a tv in our office so 2 + 2 = tv on the wall :)

FWIW, I don't normally trust plasterboard to carry any sort of weight really and will always look for a way of solid fixing

I've used them and never would again. They rely on passing clear through the wall so gravity will let the toggle drop into the vertical position for tightening. All too often there is something inside the cavity which stops the toggle dropping into the vertical.
There is a spring loaded type that operate in a similar way. Push the folded fastener through the plasterboard and the spring forces the two arms into position.
I'm with rodders tho'. If it's not carrying too much weight. use the self-tappers. Here's a (poor quality) pic. It shows the gravity toggle open and closed and you can just make out the self tapper type below.
fasteners 002.jpg

Attachments

• fasteners 002.jpg
    fasteners 002.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 2,122
blackrodd":25ttk9jq said:
Quite possibly the worst thing you could get for fixings!
I suggest you go in any outlet B&Q, Wickes etc and get the fischer(or copies) fixings that look like a very course thread.
I use them frequently, but forget the name, they come in either aluminium or plastic, have a "spade" drill bit end,
just mark and drill with the b.o.screwdriver.
One thing, on some dry lining, the dabs are 9mm, or less, these things, sometimes, will hit the masonry behind.
I suggest you mark and drill, then, snap, or cut the drill/spade end off and screw the fixing in place, as I do.
Obviously the plastic ones are cheaper, but just as good and easier to cut off.
These fixings are all but flush when fixed, and have an excellent weight carrying capacity, like big radiators etc, read the packet. Does what it says on the packet!
HTH Regards Rodders

Surely these are for hollow stud walls Rod? When fixing to a dot & dabbed wall you would be using conventional plugs into the block? I really wouldn't hang anything heavy on plasterboard fixings of any sort, A radiator is partly supported by it's pipes more often than not, a TV will have the weight further away from the wall giving it more leverage against the fixings. Cut out some plasterboard and fix a stud where you want to fix the TV bracket is my advice.

Yep, it's a cavity fixing, as you have pointed out, but the void behind the dot and dabbed plasterboard is also.
I have found them excellent for light and medium duty fixings,
I've always got a couple of packets in the screw box as the plasterboard cavity is here to stay
Regards Rodders

dm65":30n19163 said:
Just seen a video on youhoo tube and saw snap toggles for the first time - has anyone tried these things and are they any good

Here's some on 'tbay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Genuine-T ... 1008593424
Hi,
I have not used the fixings you have seen on youtube but have used all the others mentioned over the years The old fashioned spring toggles are excellent, strong fixing, slightly old hat.

Disadvantage is they require quite a large hole to insert them, there has to be a deep cavity to allow the toggle to open. They have to be assembled through the item to be attached to the wall and then the toggle has to be compressed and pushed through the wall, if there are multiple fixings getting them all compressed together and fixing the item can be a task. If you remove the item you lose the toggle in the cavity ](*,)

The type Rodders suggested are very good, I also have used them for radiator fixing many times with no problems. Years ago even hung an older type TV (heavy tube type) on a swinging wall bracket, due to the remote extended weight load I fixed a piece of abt 18m/m ply to the wall with several of the fixings and then screwed the bracket with normal wood screws.

My preference now days is for Rodders type fixings for smaller items or if there is a restricted cavity. But for stud partitions, any larger items especially if you have a number of fixings I use Carl’s type (Also called Hollow wall anchors) because they use standard machine screws of different diameters so you are not restricted on screw length (even use studding) I use the proper fixing tool but they can be fitted using just a screwdriver.

I have fitted a number of kitchen wall cupboards with the Hollow wall anchors, they have the normal crockery, tins etc but are solid as a rock as all the weight is downward.

Regards,
Keith

Hi Hemsby, I have used the spring toggles too and yes they have their good/bad points which is why I like the idea of the ones spotted - doesn't have to be fed through the fixing and stays in place afterwards but very expensive

I was just after an opinion and I have it, thanks all

carlb40":2y3qdstv said:
We use these in the hospitals etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METAL-HEAVY-D ... 2a3647aa78

Make sure you get a good brand though, cheap ones often don't set properly or snap before setting. :twisted:

Have just used some of these for the first time. Rock solid and easy to use. You really do need to use a setting tool with them though, even if they do say you can set them by doing the screw up. This only works about 75% of the time. I didn't have a tool but found a nail puller and plane iron did the job nearly as well.

carlb40":2yagaoao said:
We use these in the hospitals etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METAL-HEAVY-D ... 2a3647aa78

Make sure you get a good brand though, cheap ones often don't set properly or snap before setting. :twisted:

Have just used some of these for the first time. Rock solid and easy to use. You really do need to use a setting tool with them though, even if they do say you can set them by doing the screw up. This only works about 75% of the time. I didn't have a tool but found a nail puller and plane iron did the job nearly as well.

Back