Building a spray booth

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyb350z

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, hope your all well

I last night bought a 2002 Shogun 4x4 to pickup my wood, take dogs out etc... however still having all my spray equipment i fancy giving a full 2 tone respray, and need to build a temp spray booth in my garden ! I was looking for ideas / suggestions of what i could use to build it, i was initially thinking cheap scant wood to build a simple frame and then wrap it with industrial shrink wrap to make it dust and waterproof and also allow some light in even though i will be putting florescent lamps in there too !

is there anything better to use than wood ? i was thinking maybe plastic pipe with pushfit fittings but it would probably be a bit flimbsy and probably more expensive.

any ideas / thoughts would be VERY much appreciated

andy

Hi Andy
You can pick up a used or new polytunnel quite cheaply, probably for the same cost as the scant.

Cheers
Andy

its a great idea, just looking on ebay, biggest i can see is 6 x 3 x 2 meters, width and height seem ok but nut sure 2m high will be enough as it curves and the 4x4 is quite high, i need to measure up when i get back to see if i will be able to get the distance for the gun !!! but a great idea farmer giles, thanks for that !

Indeed a great idea for a quick temporary paint shop - perhaps if not tall enough then a temporary scaffolding plank base to raise it a bit. You could always use it to grow stuff afterwards....

You could take the vehicles wheel off and put it on bricks or dig a couple of trenches to drive it into to lower it a bit.

ha haa, thanks roger, i thought of these but could not for the life of me remember what they were called

Gazebo !!!!!

What paint do you intend on using ?
Neighbors need to be considered (that is if you have some). Be careful, you don't want the environmental police around.

Andyb350z":orszg20w said:
I will be using all water based paints, and a large extractor cut into the marquee
You'll still need to cover the water base with a clear lacquer and at the moment there are not any that are water based.
Water based lacquer is being developed but is a long way off. You have the choice of 2 k which is not a good idea for home use or RFU ( ready for use) which is a single pack lacquer but again not really suitable for home use. Less nasties in it but not as durable.
For water based to dry you need warm/hot air to pass over it.
Depending on your color/finish choice maybe synthetic enamel would be a better choice. Less nasties (basically like smooth right) , shine straight from the gun and less fumes to get you in trouble. Drying/curing time can be an issue though.

n0legs":qba5x9pv said:
You'll still need to cover the water base with a clear lacquer and at the moment there are not any that are water based.

Morrells do a w/b clear lacquer:

Waterborne Lacquers

In fact I have 5l of it - ordered in error, instead of white (similar code numbers) doh! #-o

Mike.S":38xlusbb said:
n0legs":38xlusbb said:

Morrells do a w/b clear lacquer:

Waterborne Lacquers

In fact I have 5l of it - ordered in error, instead of white (similar code numbers) doh! #-o

That wouldn't be any good for auto refinish work. You may as well use rustins varnish.
My brother in law owns a body shop and I get to use it for all sorts, in fact we scratch each others backs, he does stuff for me and I look after the compressors, oven, hydraulic equipment etc, I sometimes freelance there when he's short staffed.
I have met most of the paint manufactures reps, Max Meyer, Lesonal, Glasurit, Sherwin Williams etc. and had many interesting conversations with them. Their labs are working flat out to make a suitable water based lacquer, as one of them said when it's been done they'll be in gods pocket.
I have a huge interest in finishes due to the fact that even though I can use the workshop how and when I like, being able to finish large pieces at home safely and with a perfect finish would be a hell of a lot easier than shipping it all down the workshop. I've used 2k paints and lacquers on lots of the bits and pieces I make and the finish that I can get is incredible, coupled with the fact that I can use the talents of a professional painter if I get stuck and then add into the equation the flatting and polishing materials/equipment I have access to.
Any how enough bragging from me.
The OP has limited choices for painting a car at home that are not going to get him in potential trouble or make himself and others ill. I've painted 2k here at home, that's since been banned due to me killing 50% of the good lady's plants and not to mention my neighbor giving me grief over the smell.
I'm not trying to be clever I'm just urging caution. There are massive dangers in spray painting to health and property.
I'm all for having ago but do it safely.

Back