What wood is this

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldhead

Established Member
Reaction score
Is this European Oak or American White Oak?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 146
The only two ways to differentiate between one of the American white oaks and a European oak such as Quercus robur or Quercus petraea are through:

1. Knowing the source without question.
2. A microscopic examination of thin sections of the wood sample.

A superficial examination of a piece each of American white oak and European oak in your hand is not good enough to tell one from the other. A less rigorous examination of a low resolution image or two here is even less likely to lead to a positive identification. I'm sorry to be less than enthusiastic about your seemingly positive identification Bob (although I do wonder if your post may have been offered tongue in cheek) but I'm pretty sure I'm correct.

Baldhead, apart from being fairly sure that you're picture is of either an American white oak or a European oak, that's about as certain as I'll get, and even that identification could be wrong. Sometimes one species of wood can look very like a completely different species due to a variety of quirks. Slainte.

Back