Bandsaw blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyts

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,where is the cheapest place to get decent bi-metal bandsaw blades? for a 82 1/2'' DeWalt tabletop.

Thanks.

I'm trying a Tuffsaws bi metal blade in my bandsaw at the moment, I use it purely for woodworking.

It's certainly long lasting but I'm not sure I'll be rushing to replace it with another bi metal blade. The kerf is thicker, the cut isn't particularly smooth, the gullets aren't really deep enough to carry away the huge amount of waste needed for really deep ripping, and it needs a LOT more tension to operate correctly!

If you reclaim old timber where there's a good chance of hitting a nail, or you occasionally want to cut metal, or you're in a commercial set up where you want the longest possible period between blade changes, then I can understand the attraction of bi metal blades. Otherwise I'm less convinced.

I will only be cutting plastic and woods,the plastic will be acrylic blanks, no more than an inch square and the wood will at most be some oldtough oak about 3 inch thick,will Tuff's premium carbon blades be good enough? Also,what TPI would you guys reccomend?

I'd talk to Tuffsaws and get their advice. You've got a really clear brief so they'll be able to give you precisely what you need. For what it's worth the premium carbon blades will be fine for 3" thick oak, but as for plastic I haven't a clue!

mattyts":3bnl15ix said:
I will only be cutting plastic and woods,the plastic will be acrylic blanks, no more than an inch square and the wood will at most be some oldtough oak about 3 inch thick,will Tuff's premium carbon blades be good enough? Also,what TPI would you guys reccomend?

You will need two different blades. Basic rule of thumb, 3 teeth in the cut at any one time. With a range from 1/2" to 3" that's too great a compromise for one generic blade. Then add on top that one is a plastic and the rest wood, no chance. The resin will need many tpi, coupled with the fact its only 1/2" dictates a minimum 6tpi, add the fact its plastic and my guess is you'll want 10tpi or even 14.

The oak if its all 3" will want wider gullets to clear the waste so fewer tpi or the blade will clog and go off true in the cut. For the oak, 3tpi probably. You might be able to BS it with one 6 tpi but it will be a compromise for both mats and wont last long.

Ian will sort you, call him.

Back