Steel shed - what to do with inside walls?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a 10x5m steel shed with a (painted) concrete base (side + roller door). I would like to clad the inside of the walls to allow me to hang gear off the walls and to take a load for hanging units on. Not super heavy units - just storage - perhaps using the French-cleat hanging system and ply-wood units. I am considering sheets of 18mm ply sitting on the floor and screwed into the steel rails. I could then screw pretty much anyway to hang stuff up. It will also look less like a steel shed!

All ideas entertained. I have a budget of about 500 euro for the walls. I worked out i would need close to 20 1440x1220 sheets to do the job. If this is a terrible idea - it would be nice to know!

Regards,

Sean

Really depends on the structure of the steel shed. I know some of them a very flimsy and I would not like to hang anything at all off them.

If the shed is too flimsy then perhaps you could fix vertical timbers to the steel first, then fix the cladding to these. Put some sort of insulation before cladding - I'm sure you won't regret it. I needed to insulate a concrete block shed for my wife to use as a tack room when she had horses, so I fixed vertical 4x2s (well almost, our local woodyard supplies what they call motorway rails, they are about 4 1/2" x 1 3/4" and are quite a bit cheaper than 4x2) and put fibreglass blanket in between. The plywood cladding held the fibreglass in place nicely with no room for it to slump. I drilled 1/2" holes 3/4 through the timbers so I could fix them to the concrete blocks without having to use 5 or 6" long screws. It all worked out nicely.

Before you clad, you might want to decide on positions of sockets etc and have the wiring put in place so the walls are less cluttered ready for cabinets etc. But watch out for issues such as the cable being surrounded by insulation, which may then need to be up-rated. Also make sure the cable is fixed to the steel (i.e.as far away from the cladding as possible) so as to minimise the danger of damaging the cable by screws / nails from cleats etc.

K

I was hoping that by resting the sheets on the floor they would take weight of the walls? I'll take photos tomorrow, it's dark now and I have no power in there yet. Good advice regarding plugs, and wiring, will definitely plan before install.

I would use 65mm cls stud and make an independant wall lining, all round the shed.
Cheaper ply tends to be twisted and rough, so ,15mm or 18mm sterling board seems a good cheap alternative.
60mm celotex and boarded over and using surface electrics in conduit, I am not a fan of hidden electrics in a workshop, you can remove, replace, or add on and maintain easily, and it can look neat and professional.
You can drill and plug the sole plate down and pick up any verticle fixing by way of noggins in the appropriate places,
the header or top of stud could be 7'6" high, and fix a 4x2 across keeping the top stud stable and cut "snuggy" from steel side, to steel side, and fixed down to stud header.
Light storage above, if you have space, or insulate as well.
Regards Rodders

Back