Block plane saw jointer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone else use a block plane to joint their backsaws.

For larger non spined hand saws I would personally recommend using a jointer plane.

Stewie; :lol:

bugbear":c362h5fk said:
Gloriously and hilariously over the top! Nicely done.

BugBear

Agreed!

This is my simpler solution to the same problem:

IMG_2961_zpsef39a80c.jpg

IMG_2962_zps81b81cce.jpg

It's a bit of framing from an old "Utility" chest of drawers that my parents had. It came with the 1/4" grooves already in place - all I had to do was wedge the file into one of them.

[On the other hand, I'm not always so quick... I do still need to make some file handles so I can sharpen some saws so I can do some proper woodwork ... and I'll get round to it really soon. :wink: ]

bugbear":387i24i3 said:

BugBear

Thanks Bugbear. Before getting into backsaw making I enjoyed making traditional 1 piece hand planes of all sizes. I been thinking about getting into it again but its been a few years. I had a few hours spare so I thought this would be a novel approach to hone some old skills. The fitting of the file securely within the body of this holder required it be made in a 2 piece construction, so its not quite the real deal I am used too. but I enjoyed the time spent making it. As a jointing tool for saws it works extremely well. I have a box of spare news files when this one needs changing out. Although it should last a very long time before it needs replacing. The file itself it a fine toothed machinist file. As such it quite easy to joint across the tooth line. A handy tool to have at my disposal.

Stewie;

AndyT":2ow4k3jk said:
bugbear":2ow4k3jk said:

BugBear

Agreed!

This is my simpler solution to the same problem:

IMG_2961_zpsef39a80c.jpg

IMG_2962_zps81b81cce.jpg

It's a bit of framing from an old "Utility" chest of drawers that my parents had. It came with the 1/4" grooves already in place - all I had to do was wedge the file into one of them.

[On the other hand, I'm not always so quick... I do still need to make some file handles so I can sharpen some saws so I can do some proper woodwork ... and I'll get round to it really soon. :wink: ]

A simple but effective solution for holding your jointer file Andy. I know what you mean when you mention the jobs to do list. Its a common problem that most of us battle with. Maybe next week. See how it goes for time then.

Stewie;

Hi Stewie,
Your works have always something of particulary beautiful!

swagman":59lavmsl said:
Before getting into backsaw making I enjoyed making traditional 1 piece hand planes of all sizes. I been thinking about getting into it again

I'm sure whit excellent results.

Ciao
Giuliano :)

Back