Other uses for a Radial Arm Saw ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Dewalt RAS which I no longer use, mostly because I now have a big axial glide Bosch mitre saw but also because it has scared the **** out of me on more than one occasion.
I was thinking about selling it but they fetch so little now that it is hardly worth all the hassle so I am thinking about using it as a bobbin sander ( as someone mentioned on another thread )
Can anyone think of other uses ?

i meant to mount a router onto, rather than to use the motor to power a router. I assume that is how the original bracket used to work?

marcros":1tw1pwq9 said:
I assume that is how the original bracket used to work?
That's correct. They actually offered two variations; A lightweight one for 43mm collar routers and a heavyweight one for bigger routers that used the standard Elu style mounting bars.
They also offered other scary accessories like a spindle moulding kit, sabre saw attachment and even a simple drill chuck.

Trying to source these parts now might be a slow(almost impossible) process.

Well, there are some ideas there.... and as it happens I do have a boat on the drive......

I have the attachment for a router and have used my dewalt 625 on it. Once was enough .
I also have a sanding disc attachment but have a sander anyway.
Also came with a sanding bobbin and that seems like the best bet so far

Might be interested in the router bracket if you decide to sell and split.

Interesting question of alternative uses. I guess the issue is that today's working methods are somewhat safer and keep the hands further away from danger. I have used a RAS for cross cuts and also tried ripping. Cross cuts were fine, ripping made me nervous and very aware of fingers.

I think the following uses might be OK and make it useful to you.

1) Sanding using a faceplate like disc. Easy to set up, easy to make a rest
2) Bobbin sander style use without the up/down motion
3) Drilling
4) Use a dado head to make tenons/half laps/dovetail laps
5) Use saw blade to make 90 degree cuts...plenty of hold downs and keep fingers away

On balance I would get rid of it. All the above can be done more easily in alternate ways and the space released would probably be useful.

Al

I have had a RAS for ages now and wouldn't get rid of it. I mill and kiln dry my own timber so I use mine for cross cutting some pretty big slabs that I couldn't do on my mitre saw.
I could do them on my panel saw but I find it easier to do on my RAS. I also use it for making tenons as well with my dado head.

Back