Missing in action ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wybrook

Established Member
Reaction score
Having finally taken the plunge and bought a Tormek I've spent the weekend re-shaping, sharpening and avoiding the lathe until I'd worked through all my tools. Finally finished this evening and switched the lathe on to see if all the work had been worthwhile. It had. There were shavings coming off that were a joy to behold (and, it seemed, a lot less dust).

Anyway, after a few minutes of aimless but enjoyable shaving production I noticed that the remaining wood in the lathe was getting quite small and approaching the size for the March challenge so I started shaping it a bit more carefully. After a bit more work I had something which, while not brilliant, would be better than no entry. Time to part it off. Unfortunately, that went a bit quicker than I'd anticipated and the object shot off the lathe, past my left ear and into a pile of waste wood and other junk. From where it has refused to surface (and being so small it's likely to remain hidden !).

Guess I'll have to make something else :roll:

:D I know that feeling. It happened to me once with a finial. Damned thing shot off the lathe and vanished (I thought) into a dark corner. A bit later I stepped into a pile of shavings, and....... crunch! I found the finial!

Random Orbital Bob":3fn6a59r said:
Did it yesterday with the stalk for a turned apple. It was Teak!!! Still haven't found it......still.....only another 14 metric tonnes of shavings to search ](*,)
and the 12 cubic acres of logs.
Not that I am jealous or anything (hammer)

I know the feeling but when you have just made a matching lid to the March challenge grain match and all and the lid which is only 8mm tall and it goes flying across the workshop and there was no pile of shaving as I had cleaned them up the night before. Still can't find it.

Mind you that is a bit like my centre finder which just disappeared so brought a new one at the show on the weekend,

The old one is about to be found as always when you replace something

Back