Axminster Button Jaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicguthrie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey again folks.

I've been considering buying a couple more sets of jaws for my lathe, as I've been enjoying making a couple of bowls, and plan on turning a few platters and things over the next couple of months (looking foward to getting more turning done as the weather improves!)

I've considered the button jaws (250mm version) from Axminster for several months, but the price kept putting me off, then I thought to myself how versatile they are in comparison to fixed width jaws, and with the rubber pins, they wouldn't mark up the outside of a bowl so much if I reversed it to fix up a base after mostly finished.

My only remaining worry before buying a set is therefore: - Will they grip well enough? I don't fancy spending £70 on a set of jaws that can't grip thoroughly, nor do I relish the idea of bowl shrapnel flying about my small workshop should the grip fail!

Has anyone used these that could give me a general heads-up on their reliability and grip? Maybe even some tips on their use?

Thanks in advance.

Nic.

Hi Nic
I use the Axi face plate and rubber buttons quite a lot. they are especially good when you turn something with a irregular shape. This is more useful than the version where you turn the plate face and all the buttons come in together. Well I found that, having made one to save the price. You won't regret the investment. One tip though do use a pad of some decription so the timber does not get damage by the aluminium plate as you tighten the chuck, oh and use the tail stock to ensure the bowl or what ever is firmly against the plate tighten the chuck then you can release the tail stock. I have never gone over a 1000 rpm, and nothing has ever came off. To date
Kind regards
Richard

Hi

When buying Cole jaws I would suggest getting the largest set that you can fit to your lathe without offsetting the headstock, anything smaller will leave you wishing you'd bought the larger set.

Regards Mick

If you should move on to a lathe with a bigger swing then you can always make some extenders.
file.php

Wow, great response, thanks fellas.

I had seen the other thread on button jaws, in fact it's what made getting them come back to mind, I'd just far rather save up and buy professionally made and balanced ones than risk my own attempts at precision. I'm limited to shopping and planning at the moment by the recurrence of a collapsed lung making it unwise to handle the lathe at the moment.

As for the Donut chuck, I've seen those used in YouTube videos etc, and they seem like a great idea, but that's the most comprehensive and well written guide to making your own that I've ever seen, thanks!

I really love the idea of those extenders too, Thanks Chas, I'd fancied going for the larger set, for the occasional platter etc, but £150 vs £70 is a helluvva lot, when the larger sizes will be a very rare thing for me, the extenders would make great sense. I even have some pristine and unemployed steel strip kicking about :) What size are the screws that you use to be compatible with the threads on the face plates?

Thanks guys.

nicguthrie":32xwcv5p said:
....What size are the screws that you use to be compatible with the threads on the face plates?

Thanks guys.

<<<<< Linky Image.

Cut thread screws are better starters in the Alloy threads than rolled threads, less chance of cross threading mistakes when in a less than careful mode. (I use a small drill driver to change stud locations) And cheap enough to throw when sockets start to wear.

You really don't need cole jaws for most applications. If on a budget, and even if not, an mdf disc held in your normal jaws, or an extended cylinder, perhaps with router mat facing, will do pretty much everything you need and be quicker to use too :)

Lots of threads on the topic....

Cheers, Paul

As an alternative, I'd suggest going for these (with a set of carriers).

http://www.axminster.co.uk/150mm-wood-jaw-plates

That way you can make cole jaws from some 3/4 mdf and threaded inserts, but also have option to drill / glue / screw / nail etc to the face and throw away after time + can be any size you like + a bit cheaper (excl time & effort).

Simon.

Back